Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > 9.0.4: "Error creating data directory: -48"

9.0.4: "Error creating data directory: -48"
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 6, 2000, 04:53 AM

After updating my PowerBook G3/333 (192 MB RAM) to 9.0.4 an alert saying "Error creating data directory: -48" will appear a few seconds after the screen goes black (energy saver). OK'ing the alert makes it go away, but it's annoying. No other oddities, though; the 'book is running smoothly, as usual.

Senior User
Apr 6, 2000, 11:53 AM

I am still having this problem too. It happend the most in DreamWeaver, and Seti (seti cant even run! and I just broke seven hours )

Has anyone else had this problem? Are there any suggestions?

G4 400, 128MB

[This message has been edited by Keda (edited 04-06-2000).]

Professional Poster
Apr 6, 2000, 12:30 PM

well, when SETI gives this message it means that it can't find its target data files it wants to see when it's launched.
it has happened to me after backing up and deleting the SETI@home data from my RAM disk where SETI data resides (have to do the backup and delete for a restart so as not to lose RAM disk data), so when SETI launched it did not find its data and gave the exact error message you describe, and this is the only time i have ever seen this message.

so, something is keeping your app's from seeing their data. MacOS is confused somehow.
Alias troubles? Temp items? Third party utilities background processes?

i think that if you clear your Temp items folder and clean your Recent items as well and rebuild your desktop and maybe even delete Finder pref's and restart it will help

Hiram  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 6, 2000, 12:38 PM

You are right; it is the SETI client. I use a RAM disk too for SETI, and it turns out all of its contents were deleted with the 9.0.4 update. I don't see why, but the RAM disk is completetly empty, and it wasn't before I updated the OS.
Deleting the SETI data folder alias so that it won't look for the RAM disk anymore eliminated the error.
End of thread, I think.

[This message has been edited by Hiram (edited 04-06-2000).]

Senior User
Apr 6, 2000, 01:13 PM

Well, yes and no. My memory control panel cause system crashes now. So I cant use a RAM disk. Ive tossed its prefs, but no dice.

Can I download a new one?

Senior User
Apr 6, 2000, 01:54 PM

Now I think its done! My memory problem was with an extension called reaper. wlonh-remember? I downloaded it for Seti. Well, I killed it and the Mac is happy.

I have not seen anymore -48s. Ill try Dreamweaver, but if I get any, it might be scratch disks or something.

Thanks!

Professional Poster
Apr 6, 2000, 02:17 PM

aha, well then maybe the Reaper is incompat with new 9.04 or maybe the Reaper's pref's got corrupted...

Forum Links
Forum Rules