Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > OS 9.2.1 Urm, Where did the CD player go?

OS 9.2.1 Urm, Where did the CD player go?
Senior User
Nov 10, 2001, 05:43 PM

Hey Peeps.. I got an odd one here.. I recently got an iBook 600, and very nice it is too! But I noticed that there is no longer an Apple CD player, Or a CD player control strip module. This in itself doesn't really bother me. Because if I want to play an audio CD, then iTunes does the job fine. However, whenever I put an Audio CD in the drive, it automatically plays it. Which isn't always what I want. The CD player control strip module that came with previous OS releases had an AutoPlay thing which you could turn off.. Do I now do this elsewhere in OS 9.2.1? If so, where? At the moment I have to open iTunes and stop the CD there. My Other Macs are all presently running OS 9.1, and they all have an Apple CD player and CD control strip module.. I guess I could take those OS components and install them into OS 9.2.1, right? Just seems weird that I have to do this though.. Or is there something stupid that I missed?

Professional Poster
Nov 10, 2001, 07:42 PM

you can probably find the cd player in the apple extras folder..
but itunes is SO FAR superior to the basic cd player.
obvious question: why not just put the cd in the drive when u are READY to play it??
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

Senior User
Nov 10, 2001, 08:36 PM

Fisher, because sometimes I just don't need to play the CD at all. You see, I have a small music studio. And I do a lot of editing work on the Macs. So sometimes I put an audio CD in that I need to copy parts from onto the HD. Then I'll edit it or whatever using various apps. I'll then listen to the file's from the app.

Basically, all I really want to do is turn off the Auto Play thing! I'll try taking the CD control strip module from OS 9.1, hopefully that will be all I need to do.

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 10, 2001, 10:44 PM

It's in your Quicktime Preferences in Control Panels. Click in the pop-up menu, and there should be a section called "AutoPlay". Go there and it will have options for disabling AudioCD Autoplaying.

You can't eat all those hamburgers, you hear me you ridiculous man?

Senior User
Nov 11, 2001, 12:40 PM

qnxde, Thank you! Thats exactly what I needed to know.. I forgot that I now have QT5. Where as before I had been using QT4.1 (Along with OS 9.1). So some of the CD player features and controls, like the AutoPlay thing, are very different now. Or in different places.

<superlarry @ a cafe>
Nov 16, 2001, 11:40 PM

it's also in the iTunes preferences. it asks what to do upon CD insert, including things like "Import," "Import and Eject," "Play," and "Do Nothing." heck, that might be all the options.. but i'm at a cafe on WinNT so i dunno :c)

Forum Links
Forum Rules