Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > OS 9 problems

OS 9 problems
Forum Regular
Nov 29, 1999, 12:01 PM

I am running OS 9 on a G4/450 and am not able to shut down the computer using the button on the keyboard. It goes through the motions, the items dissappear from the desktop and then nothing happens. I have to shut the power down. When I restart it's as if nothing ever went wrong. Is anyone else having this problem?

Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 29, 1999, 04:52 PM

Two things here.

First, is there anything in your shutdown items folder that could be causing a problem?

Second, try throwing away the finder preferences in the preferences folder.

If those don't turn the trick, post again and maybe someone has already solved that problem and can tell you about it.

Forum Regular
Nov 29, 1999, 10:17 PM

I was also having the shutdown problem after installing OS 9. Exact same circumstances, but on an iMac DV-SE. After much frustration, I went back to OS 8.6. Problem solved.

Admin Emeritus
Nov 30, 1999, 06:16 PM

Chances are downgrading to 8.6 solved your problem because it (by nature) involved a clean install. Tyr doing a *clean* install (not an upgrade) of OS 9, it should work.

tooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules