Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > OS 9.2 Error from downloading its .smi

OS 9.2 Error from downloading its .smi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 14, 2001, 09:07 PM

Hi all. So I was about to upgrade from 9.1 to 9.2.1, when i ran into this odd problem. I downloaded the upgrade file from apple, but on the download's completion, the finder suddenly popped up with an error message stating that "Mac OS 9.2.1 Update.smi could not be used, due to an error of -127." This error message came up continually--reappearing instants after I clicked ok--until i was finally able to restart. After a restart, the .smi file is still there, no error messages come up, and it appears ok. However, I am hesitant to open and use the installer, due to that original error message. I've downloaded it several times now. Anyone know what a -127 error is?? Can i still use this installer now?? Thanks for the help
-flyer

Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 15, 2001, 08:57 PM

Same thing here today. I restarted and opened the .smi, ran the installer, and all seems well enough. I've spent some time getting rid of things I already have, and noodling around to see that all works.

I really have no idea about that error, but since I've been backing up, I have felt free to open suspect files.

I'd be interested to know what you find out.

--Storyboy
Indeed, I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just.

iMac Core2Duo 2.16GHz/3G RAM/250G HD OSX 10.6.6
Various Peripherals

Forum Links
Forum Rules