Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > OS question

OS question
Forum Regular
May 24, 2001, 06:51 PM

Hello:
I would like to ask an importnat question on Mac OS. Can anyone tell me whether Mac OS have any kind of auomatic adjustment of monitors? For exampke, would it be possible for the OS to adjust when it detects that it can have a high resoltuion, say 800x600 to 1600x1200, from the lowering existiing one?
Also, can anybody tell me @1600x1200, what hz that Mac OS support? I need them very badly, please help.
Trillion thanks!
TiBook rulezz~~

TiBook 800/512/40/Combo Drive
TiBook Giga/512/60/SuperDrive

Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 24, 2001, 08:00 PM

You can adjust whatever monitor resolution you want in the control strip. I don't think the OS automatically adjusts the resolution.

Cheers.

Administrator
May 24, 2001, 09:57 PM

The Mac OS has no set resolution limits. The available resolutions are mainly dictated by the video cards' limits, and the limits of the monitor(s).

The Mac OS will try to sense what resolutions are supported by a particular monitor, and usually gets them correctly. However, you can override the automatic settings and choose whatever setting you like from those supported by the video card.

My PowerMac G4's stock video card supports 1600 x 1200 @ 85 Hz maximum. Max supported resolution by my stock video card is 1920 x 1440 @ 75 Hz. iMacs currently top out at 1024 x 768 on the built-in display, as do the new iBooks. The TiBook tops out at 1152 x 768 on the built in display, but can drive an external VGA monitor. I do not remember the specs on how high an external TiBook monitor can be pushed to.

A different video card will supply new resolutions for the PowerMac, just as they do on any other system.

Mac Elite
May 24, 2001, 10:15 PM

In general you have to set the desired resolution yourself, choosing one your video hardware offers and your monitor is able to show. There's no way to auto detect what you like to see, and even if a 17" monitor is able do display 1600x1200 you would not like to work with it.

-

Clinically Insane
May 25, 2001, 10:22 AM

How hard is it to change it yourself?

Its less dependant on the vid card than the monitor.

I mean my vid card can drive 1600*1200@85Hz but my monitor maxes out at 1600*1200@60hz

I think.

------------------

AIM: Cipher1387
mail: cipher13@mac.com

Forum Regular
May 25, 2001, 11:02 AM

Thanks for everybody first!
I have to post such 'Silly' thread because my control panel is faulty and I cannot open the full monitor control, only can use that in the control strip. Therefore I ask everyone and is sounds silly. But actually it is the problem of the new ATi driver, which I cannot revert the situation through uninstallation. In this case, I can just ask our boardmates. But lucky, I have chosen the right monitor, the Hitachi CM625E which supports 1600x1200@75hz, and that's amongst the highest that the Mac OS supports. But I find the characters are too small to read and therefore reverts back to 1280x1024@85hz.
Anyway, thanks for everybody's help!
TiBook rulezz~~

TiBook 800/512/40/Combo Drive
TiBook Giga/512/60/SuperDrive

NBK
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 25, 2001, 02:45 PM

I would like to add something to this... Most of the times, it's an application that changes the resolution! For example, when I open up CVGS, it changes the resolution automatically to 800x600... And when I quit that application, the Finder changes back to 1280x1024. Another thing, the Hertz depends on your video card and your monitor, but not your OS!

Grizzled Veteran
May 28, 2001, 10:28 PM

Hmmm. My iMac automatically adjusted my monitor colors today. That was annoying. I turned it on, and it was in "thousands of colors" mode.

------------------
Enjoy Sunny Graphics/Illustration

Administrator
May 29, 2001, 12:52 AM

Originally posted by Corinthian:
... because my control panel is faulty and I cannot open the full monitor control, only can use that in the control strip ...
If your Monitors CP will not open, this should be fixed. You can get a fresh copy of the Monitors CP from your installer CD or your Restore CD.

Restore CD: Restore CD/Configurations/<your computer name>.img
Disk Copy must be present on your system for you to open the disk image. Inside the image, the Monitors control panel will be in the usual place. DiskImage/System Folder/Control Panels/Monitors

Installer CD: Install CD/Software Installers/System Software/Mac OS 9/Installation Tome
You would need Tome Viewer to extract the Monitors control panel.

If a clean copy of the Monitors control panel does not fix the problem, trash the Monitors preferences file. It is located at: Macintosh HD/System Folder/Preferences/Monitors Preferences/Monitors Preferences

If that still does not fix the problem, there is probably a corrupted video driver. You can get fresh copies of the ATI driver files from the same place in the Install CD, they are in the Installation Tome file and start with "ATI". From the Restore CD's image file, they are in DiskImage/System Folder/Extensions/ATIsomething_or_other

Your Monitors CP should work, letting something stay broken on a Mac just does not feel right.

[This message has been edited by reader50 (edited 05-29-2001).]

Forum Links
Forum Rules