Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Protected Memory in OS9.1... Sorta

Protected Memory in OS9.1... Sorta
Forum Regular
Feb 7, 2001, 10:23 PM

Has anyone else noticed that almost all crashes yielding a "Restart" button can be gotten out of without a restart by using the keyboard combination, Command-PowerButton (the programmers interupt keyboard shortcut, I believe), then at the prompt typing, G FINDER? I was able to occasionally do this under OS 9.0.4 and earlier, but now under OS 9.1, I can do this almost every time, without restarting (granted, the offending app usually won't function properly until after one, but it's nice if you're done with that app). The whole system crashing is much rarer for me under 9.1, but apps are crashing pretty often, so this is a really great benefit.

I'm sure that many of you read the article in AppleInsider stating that Apple pulled Protected Memory code from OS 9.1, and I don't want to get into a debate over the merits/truth to this rumour. It just appears as though each app's memory space seems to be a bit more segregated anyway under OS 9.1 than earlier versions.

Anyone else had the same experience, or have any insight into why it would be possible more often under 9.1?

Cheers!

Feb 8, 2001, 12:46 AM

I used to have an old PowerBook Duo 230. Once, it crashed (under System 7.x) , and I used the G FINDER trick to escape the crash. This hosed my hard drive and I ended up having to format it. My files were still there, but the disk became "locked" and refused to unlock, even when I used disk utilities to try to unlock it. If I remember correctly, this made the disk unbootable.

Things are not necessarily the same today, but as for me personally, I'd rather wait for it to restart than take this risk. You're welcome to use this trick if you like it, but I just wanted to present both sides of the issue.

Clinically Insane
Feb 8, 2001, 03:15 AM

OS 9.04 never locked up on me. I was always able to use Macsbug sucessfully on the rare occasions that it did crash.
9.1 is a different matter. I'm gonna downgrade soon.

Cipher13

hmr
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 8, 2001, 07:06 AM

I upgraded to 9.1 immediately when it was available, but downgraded after 4 days of constant freezes. Few days ago I installed it again, over a totally fresh 9.0.4 and now everything works fine.

Naepstn: I totally agree with you.

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 8, 2001, 10:30 AM

I agree with that. First, I installed 9.1 over my current Os 9.04, it worked fine, but had an ungood feeling. Because I bought a new 30gb hd, I reinstalled 9.0 and then updated to 9.1.
The system works perfectly, better than 9.04 on my G4 AGP, but this my also be from the new installation. I'm happy with 9.1. Clean install, clean solution, clean working.
Mosi

Forum Regular
Feb 18, 2001, 11:21 PM

9.0.4 was good but 9.1 is better on my G4
Carpé Bandwidth

Forum Regular
Feb 19, 2001, 12:14 AM

after upgrading to 9.1 i had all sorts of problems. lock-ups non stop. then i installed 9.04 and installed 9.1 on the clean load of 9.04. runs great now.

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 19, 2001, 01:57 PM

I to have been faced with the black and white dialog box saying I had to restart because an application crashed in Mac OS 9.1. (AOL IM has been giving me problems)
But to my surprise I have clicked restart, only to have the dialog bax that was always fatal in any OS below 9.1, simply disappear and I could go about the rest of my work! Of course I save my documents and restarted when I could to make sure things were right again...but that is a big plus for Mac OS 9.1.

Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 19, 2001, 04:16 PM

I've had nothing but good luck with OS 9.1. It has definitely made my Mac more stable. Before that, daily crashes with 9.0.4 were nothing unusual; now, far fewer. However, I'm really looking forward to OS X, because I work with Windows NT and Windows 2000 at work (ech!), and I have only crashed 2 times in the past year on them, and that was with heavy development work! I'm hoping that OS X can reach that type of reliability. The ironic thing is that MS often makes such *unreliable* software. Perhaps my workstation at work has some understanding with Microsoft LOL

TiBook 667MHz/512Mb/30Gb/DVD
Macs for work and play; Windows for...work and play. Oh. Never mind. Whatever.

Forum Links
Forum Rules