Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > 9.1 was going so-so until I gave up on it

9.1 was going so-so until I gave up on it
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 8, 2001, 12:18 AM

Hummm... I saw all those posts about 9.1 givin' a headache, some saying it is great... so I tried it out anyway. Worked ok, but some errors type 2 and 3 started pissing me off, then my scanner stop working, than the Webcam... then, I downgrade to 9.0.4 again... and when X cames out... I'll wait a while until everything gets settled, because I don't want to waste a lot of time (again) upgrading and downgrading my OS.

------------------
Think Diferente!
Think Diferente!

Clinically Insane
Feb 8, 2001, 02:22 AM

I'm finding 9.1 a lot less stable than 9.04. I'm gonna downgrade ASAP... and I'll wait for OSX to have been out a while before I decide whether it will become my main OS...

Cipher13

Senior User
Feb 8, 2001, 06:20 AM

The only problem with waiting for OS X before sorting out the 9.1 specific problems is that OS X is going to use 9.1 for classic.

IMO better to get the 9.1 compatibility problems out of the way before OS X 'cos after then it will be much harder to pin down the culprit. "Is it OS 9.1, is it Classic, it is OS X"....

FYI: Running on OS 9.1 reliably for weeks. No less stable that 9.04 on my Pismo. I did go through *all* of the extensions and CPs though and disabled the ones I didn't need.

Even got a webcam yesterday, installed the drivers, plugged it in, no problem.

Senior User
Feb 8, 2001, 07:40 AM

I think the old addage applies: Don't fix it if it ain't broke!

Don't upgrade to 9.1 for the sake of uprading. Do it if you think or know it will fix current problems you have (like compatability, stability, etc.)

Other then a few new features you may not use, what do yo ugain?
Dan
"I guarantee that I am correct."
(not a guarantee)

Senior User
Feb 8, 2001, 09:26 AM

One thing I did do to make it more stable was stop using Outlook Express. That would take down my Mac pretty often.

If I was doing something when it wanted to check for mail in the background it locked up my Mac almost every time. I was only using it for work mail so binned it. No problems since.

Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 8, 2001, 01:17 PM

Like I said, thing where going OK, but I started getting Types 2 & 3, and then only yesterday I realize that my WebCam (that WAS working) wasn't anymore... I have (like with 9.0.4) gone trhu ALL the extensions, CPs, I have every application that I installed, documented trhu Installer Observer... so, I guess I was careful enought but anyways, 9.1 is working great for somepeople... not for me. I forgot, I was using the 9.1 upgrade, not the full install GM or the full CD from Apple...

------------------
Think Diferente!
Think Diferente!

WDL
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 8, 2001, 03:48 PM

If you look at the info notes at Apple's download site - they
very strongly recommend installing from the CD.

As a case in point - 9.0 came on my iMac (Feb'00) which I upgraded
to 9.0.4 by download (not full version as contained on CD - obtained the CD later,
but haven't used it yet.)

New iMac (Jan '01) came with 9.0.4 installed (full version).

DiskWarrior boots up the 9.0.4 download - will not boot up the 9.0.4 full
install. Alsoft is sending me an update CD for the latter.

WDL

Mac Elite
Feb 8, 2001, 05:24 PM

Originally posted by Cipher13:
I'm finding 9.1 a lot less stable than 9.04. I'm gonna downgrade ASAP... and I'll wait for OSX to have been out a while before I decide whether it will become my main OS...

Cipher13
wow cypher, you went from OSX sucks and ill never use it to ill wait a while and i might use OSX, hehe i guess your starting to see the light

Clinically Insane
Feb 9, 2001, 03:44 AM

Originally posted by Jsnuff1:
wow cypher, you went from OSX sucks and ill never use it to ill wait a while and i might use OSX, hehe i guess your starting to see the light
OSX sucks. I'll never use it till its any good. I won't know if its any good unless I use it.
I don't see the light - I see whats in the light. Others see the light - looking directly into it, blinding them.

Cipher13

Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 9, 2001, 02:02 PM

I USED to be that kind of guy who HAVE to upgrade as soon as the new version comes out... but not anymore... now that I need my computer to work, I will only upgrade when I need to, or when I can get more from my machine with the update... like with OS X. When it gets settled (a lot of applications, stability, etc.) I'll upgrade...

------------------
Think Diferente!
Think Diferente!

Banned
Location: "Joisey" Home of the "Guido" and chicks with "Big Hair"
Feb 10, 2001, 05:06 PM

I respect Cipher and his often times misinterpretted as "ranting" opinions

Just kidding bud (obviously I'm spending too much time on these boards )

I'm upping to OSX here at home but lets just say I'm not going in "head first" without some "scuba gear". I'll be placing it on a partition or my other drive and see if it plays well with my all Classic Applications for a while. Meanwhile I'll be maintaining an OS 9.1 only partition or drive as a "life-boat".

I think I learned a "lesson" of sorts when I proposed to my boss that we up to OS 9.0.4 on ALL our graphics workstations at my place of work, which we did. But let me tell you we killed alot of older app's along the way

Most of the major stuff still works, but alot of those little things like our very old ATR "died" on us and OmniPage Pro version 5 (not so "little" since it costs like $500 new and I don't think our version is "upgradeable"). Amazingly however Suitcase 3 still works

The alternative would have been running like a different OS on every different workstation we have. Not too much better IMHO. They're problem is they (the company I work for) won't upgrade until it's "too-late". Stuff like Photoshop 6 and Illustrator 9 just won't work on any OS lower than 8.5. our Adobe InDesign purchase happenned almost overnite when we received from a client our very FIRST InDesign file format a few months back, and this was like a 6 million form Press run (big bucks at stake). That was one app. format I'd never thought I'd see.

In my place of works case, we were really behind the curve, so upgrading was a necessity.

Mike

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 10, 2001, 06:37 PM

Ahhh shite . . . wish I'd read these posts before upgrading to 9.1

Forum Regular
Feb 10, 2001, 10:02 PM

I don't know what version of Mac OS 9.1 you guys are running, but mine has been rock solid since mid-December (GM developer version).

I've installed 9.1 and updated dozens of Macs to 9.1 here in Manhattan and have found very few problems. In almost every case, it has made the Macs more stable and faster (esp. the G4's).

If I were you, I'd definitely look at your 3rd party software to see if there's some conflict happening.

I also try (not always possible of course) to do a clean-install of 9.1 and then migrate the user's prefs and 3rd party stuff into the new OS. This is SOP for me and is generally the better way to go about updating an OS.

For those of you that are nervous about upgrading to 9.1, you shouldn't be. Bear in mind that some people on these forums are rather vocal and will often embellish their single bad experience into something larger than it actually is (4000 posts? Chris Elliot starred in a show about you in the early 90's didn't he?).

I'm a certified Apple technician and registered developer. I spend my days fixing Macintoshes and solving problems on this platform for my clients. My opinion on Mac OS 9.1--founded from more than two months of experience running it and installing it on nearly 100 Macs--is that it is very stable and fast. You should seriously consider upgrading your Mac.

Mac Enthusiast
Feb 11, 2001, 01:59 AM

I downloaded the entire lump upgrade to 9.1 off Hotline and installed it as an update to 9.0.4. Just for the hell of it really, in fact, I was almost expecting the worst, as upgrades go these days. I have been pleasantly surprised so far (about two weeks.) The little additions and improvements are nice, things are more stable when not running MS products, it feels a little faster and smoother, etc. It also finally fixed a bug where connecting to the Internet would automatically mess with some of the Sound panel settings, which had happened forever. Speaking of control panels, several are reworked and improved as well.

I upgraded fully prepared for 9.1 to be the last straw. Turns out it's probably the best Mac OS I've used, and certainly no half-assed upgrade. But that's just my experience.

Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 11, 2001, 05:18 AM

I did a clean install of my 9.0.4 and then I upgraded it. Then I installed all my 3rd party stuff... maybe, when I get another HD I'll try it again

------------------
Think Diferente!
Think Diferente!

Clinically Insane
Feb 11, 2001, 05:26 AM

Originally posted by Damien:
For those of you that are nervous about upgrading to 9.1, you shouldn't be. Bear in mind that some people on these forums are rather vocal and will often embellish their single bad experience into something larger than it actually is (4000 posts? Chris Elliot starred in a show about you in the early 90's didn't he?).
If you're referring to me, the joke was lost on me... I have no idea who Chris Elliot is
Sorry.
And the majority of my posts are not arguments and complaints, but troubleshooting problems

Cipher13

kevinsstuff
Feb 24, 2001, 12:29 PM

I started with OS 9,then updated everything to OS 9.04,downloaded
OS 9.1 and everything worked fine. IMO 9.1 is the the most trouble free update I have ever done. I use a 8600/300 with ADS 2 port USB card,and ATI Nexus 32mb video card. my SW 2500 works fine,my
Alaris usb web cam works fine, Office 20001 no problems IE 5 no
problems. Start up seems faster, Itunes no problems, Micro tech
usb reader no problems. Iam happy!!

Feb 24, 2001, 01:07 PM

9.1 Works perfectly if installed correctly. Just follow Apple's directions and you shouldn't have a problem. When I first installed it (the download upgrade) I had all sorts of problems. I just launched the installer right after download without even looking at the read me file. It was very bad done that way.I then reinstalled 9.0.4 and then upgraded following the directions and it has been rock solid. Now I have OSX preordered and will install that ASAP following the directions of course

TriPhaze
Feb 24, 2001, 03:06 PM

9.1 runs sweet on my 8500/180 (233MHz 604e). I had a couple of minor startup problems initially, but I believe that was due to my beta testing of software which shall remain nameless.

Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 24, 2001, 04:45 PM

If all fails, read the directions . hehe

I'm glad this worked for you. As for me and many of us, we wont find solutions in the read me file. Most of the problems with Mac OS 9.1 that most of us had with it all came from having third party software. It might have been a webcam or your burner or dave, whatever it was that worked with Mac OS 9.0.4 no longer worked with 9.1. And to top it all off, it may the OS less stable.

If Mac OS X comes with a seperate 9.1 install (that is a bootable, not just a classic version) then perhaps I will install it.
brown is sweeter
me_puter: outdated

Forum Links
Forum Rules