Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > CD Locked?

CD Locked?
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 8, 2001, 03:07 PM
When I try to insert a blank CD in to my new G4 466, the typical MacOS disk formatting diaglow pops up asking me to format & name the disk. After I do so I get the error that the disk is locked.

How does one lock a blank CD? Its not like there's a tab like on a floppy...

Of course I tried another blank CD - 2 more in fact - wondering If I (very possibly) had a bad one... same problem. The mac can mount any other formatted CD fine. These cds came straight of the protected CD and weren't scratched or abused in any other way.

I happen to have Adaptec's Toast software installed... could this be producing a conflict? They "co-existed" fine for two weeks already - otherwise I'd remove Toast or the Apple CD burner software and try again... but I have the feeling its something really dumb I'm missing.
Professional Poster
Feb 8, 2001, 06:55 PM
sounds like a problem with one of your extensions. check out this macfixit page. you might try replacing the CD/DVD driver with an older version from 9.0.4 and see if everything's cool.

[This message has been edited by rjenkinson (edited 02-08-2001).]
Trying to help
Feb 12, 2001, 05:14 AM
Erm...trying not to sound offensive, I think you are being dumb.

I take it by blank CD, you are talking about one that you wish to wirte stuff to. If you insert a blank CD into your standard drive, the computer will ask you if you wants it formatting - on a PC or a Mac. That's because blank CD's aren't formatted. Non-formatted means can't read. My machine did the same thing - until toast was installed.

Open the toast program and select file that you want copying onto CD. Then insert the blank CD into the CD writer. The formatting dialog shouldn't come up. Then burn.

Hope this helps
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 14, 2001, 12:12 PM
Forum Links
Forum Rules