Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Apple needs a VCD utility!

Apple needs a VCD utility!
Drew
Feb 8, 2001, 03:52 PM

Many if not all DVD players are capable of playing VCD (Video CDs are alive and well in foreign countries). You are able to do this with toast but only with another one of Adaptec's applications to save the file in the right format. With the move to CDRW, VCD would complete the multimedia Mac allowing us to export our movies to CDs for hardcopy. Until the day that each Mac comes with a "Superdrive", it would be a valuable solution to allow us to burn movies on CDs in the VCD format, which can play on our friends' DVD players. The problem with VCD (other than it is missing the special functions of DVD), is that it can only store about one hour of video per CD, which is not enough for a full-length movie... However most home users only need to export their small home creations. A VCD supplies ample space to do this.

Mac Enthusiast
Feb 8, 2001, 11:37 PM

go to versiontracker.com
and do a search for vcd
there is a couple of programs that work, not awsome, but they work
w3rd..
surrey represent

Drew
Feb 9, 2001, 02:05 PM

I went over to Versiontracker, but all the downloads were VCD players, not encoders. The point though, is that Apple should provide us one for free, as a "Killer" app. It's the final piece of the puzzle for their iMovie/digital video scheme.

Steve P. J.
Feb 13, 2001, 04:12 PM

Yes, I too have been looking for a way to burn my illegally downloaded movies to a VCD format.

Drew
Feb 13, 2001, 04:32 PM

Well, that might be your concern. I just don't see the point in making an iMovie if I have to send a 20 - 600 MB file to a friend with a modem, assuming they have a computer, and it is able to play the movie. Or how about this one: "come on everybody, let's stand around the computer and its computer-sized screen to see the video of our vacation, when we could be sitting comfortably watching it on the big TV screen."

Feb 13, 2001, 04:39 PM

Yes, I too have been looking for a way to burn my illegally downloaded movies to a VCD format.
Another drone with the industry's "you-buy-recordable-media-so-you-MUST-be-doing-something-illegal" mentality.

Drew has a very good point - that any computer and DVD player can play VCDs, yet there's no ability to create one with iMovie or any other Mac program.

I was expecting iMovie 2 to have this feature, but it still hasn't arrived.

Mac Elite
Feb 13, 2001, 04:48 PM

In a couple weeks, when it comes out, purchase Toast Titanium 5. Other than its awesome burning abilities, there is built in support for burning VCDs. It also has a plug in for iMovie (and FCP for that matter) where you can export your movie to VCD format and burn away.

-s'fit
"I have a lot of nightmares and I poop too much." ~Beavis

Mac Elite
Feb 15, 2001, 02:49 AM

or ahead's neroMAX, if memory serves...

bluehz
Feb 15, 2001, 06:51 AM

I have been testing a beta of NeroMax 1.1.7 and it is not like the PC version of Nero that allows you to burn VCD's. It is basically a port of the B's Recorder Gold. Unfortunate since If I had to use a PC I would choose to use Nero for CD burning. I had high hope for NeroMax.

Forum Links
Forum Rules