Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > OS 9.1 not for Performa?

OS 9.1 not for Performa?
May 28, 2001, 11:33 PM

I bought OS9 on Ebay and get the following message when I try to install:
"this program cannot run on your computer. See the documentation for more information"...I do not have any documentation. I have a 6400/180 Performa which I just boosted with a G3L2 Sonnet 400MHz card plus a 64mb memory card. Am I stuck at 8.1?

------------------
live as if you will die tommorrow...learn as if you will live forever.

Mac Elite
May 29, 2001, 01:13 AM

Originally posted by gepepa:
"this program cannot run on your computer. See the documentation for more information"...I do not have any documentation. I have a 6400/180 Performa which I just boosted with a G3L2 Sonnet 400MHz card plus a 64mb memory card. Am I stuck at 8.1?
OS 9 should work on a Performa... are you booting from the CD (starting up holding the "c" key down)?
IS the OS 9 CD a white CD with the OS 9 label on it, or is it an OS 9 CD that came with someone's computer? The difference between the two is that if it came from someone's computer, often that CD is keyed to only install on that particular make of computer (ie if I gave you the OS 9.1 software installer that came with my Titanium Powerbook, it would refuse to install on your Performa).
Also, you might try removing the G3 upgrade card, see if OS 9 installs, then, after it is installed, reinstall the upgrade card.
let us know how everything goes,
dave

gepepa  (op)
May 29, 2001, 01:05 PM

thanks ddiokno...I will get in touch with the seller...that may be the cause

------------------

Mac Elite
May 29, 2001, 02:47 PM

thanks ddiokno...I will get in touch with the seller...that may be the cause

Hi Gegepa,
I believe most of the OEM system cd's that come with current systems are labels "--------- (whatever the system)" software install. I am looking at software install CD's from an iMac, a G4 Cube, and a Titanium Powerbook , and they are all ligth gray.
good luck,
dave

Addicted to MacNN
May 29, 2001, 07:50 PM

As far as I can tell, any system CD that shipped with anything AFTER the ibook (9/99) won't work as an install CD for other machines. The OS 8.6 CD that came with my Rev. D (333) iMac is a duplicate of the OS 8.6 retail CD.

I'd like to know if OS 9.1 works on a performa too, since I've got one or two that will need upgrading eventually.

------------------
Shop smart, shop S-Mart! You got that!!?!!
He can be fixed -- you can't.

gepepa  (op)
May 29, 2001, 09:57 PM

Finboy....I begin to suspect I bought a copy of 9.1 which was on someone else's machine. Am getting conflicting reports about the compatability...
stay tuned.

------------------

WDL
Mac Enthusiast
May 30, 2001, 09:30 AM

Gepepa:

If that is actual - then there are two people with a problem - you can't boot from the CD,
and the person who has the Mac that came with that CD is also flummoxed.

Some resellers are lacking in knowledge (about specific CDs married to the Macs they ship with) -
and others (like one I bought one of my four Macs from) are lacking in integrity. This a** hole kept
the OS CD for the Mac I bought (long distance - lower price) and I had to finally threaten to call Apple
to get the CD - this was before the CDs being married to the Macs. Obviously, if he kept the OS CD he
could sell it as a stand-alone OS! He told me I didn't need it because he had already installed the OS!
He knew he was dealing with a newbie - what he didn't know was that I bought books and READ THEM!

I stick with MacWarehouse now, or a local reseller because they both have excellent, knowledgeable
people and no questions asked return policies. Lower price does is not always a saving
- it can cost you big time.

WDL

gepepa  (op)
May 30, 2001, 09:26 PM

thanks, WDL...I'm afraid there is no one newer to this than I am....I bought
what I thought was a better hard drive for my Performa and the 9.1 CD was included...then I found out my hard drive was 3x faster than the new one so that is sitting in a closet and will probably be joined by the CD. As they say...we get too soon old and too late smart.

Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 1, 2001, 08:47 AM

I would also make sure that you have the latest drivers from Sonnet. I seem to remember a lot of card manufacturers needing to put out updates for 9.1, as they have slowly been doing for X. Perhaps you were unaware, or overlooked Sonnet's update (if one exists) since you didn't need 9.1 compatability at that point! Let us know what happens.

-S

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 6, 2001, 11:27 PM

Dear gepepa'
Take a look at the Read Me file of OS 9. It numbers some issues with third-party accelerator cards and 6000 series Performas. Sorry, I couldn't paste the paragraphs but the main suggestion it gives is to call the upgrade card support.
Also, don't give upon your hard drive. Your Performa probably came with a SCSI drive (much faster than Mac's recent standard - IDE). Double check that info because your drive could be good.
Hope I could help

Forum Links
Forum Rules