Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Software Update and PPPoE

Software Update and PPPoE
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 10, 2001, 06:44 PM

Is there a way to make Software Update work with PPPoE? I have Verizon DSL, which requires MacPoET to be open in order to maintain the connection. However, Software Update closes it each time it tries to update. Is there an easy work-around, or do I need to download the components individually?

Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 10, 2001, 07:26 PM

I've been fussing about this very issue back to when the Software Update control panel was implemented. It's such a wonderful feature -- but unusable to many people using high-speed connections that require a "keep alive" agent such as MacPoET. There is a Catch-22 problem when the Software Update control panel requires all other applications to quit in order to perform an installation, and breaks its internet connection in the process.

Apple has posted a number of Tech Info Library articles on the subject, and going at least a year back, they have continued to recognize the problem, and are looking into a solution. As of now, you are correct -- you must note the software to be updated, and then go and do it yourself.

The latest article (as of 9/2000) is here: http://til.info.apple.com/techinfo.nsf/artnum/n60598

Since further development of pre-OSX components is probably just about nil at this point in time, keep your fingers crossed that this is one thing that works in OSX.

It seems to me that the fix would be fairly easy -- such as having a preference selection that allows you to keep one program running -- but nothing yet. The Tech article says that fixes have been implemented so that many "keep alive" agents will keep running, but it does not appear that MacPoET was one of them. Which is a shame, since it is one of the more popular ones out there.

Hope this answers your question -- and hopefully this annoying problem will be fixed before too long!

Feb 11, 2001, 10:14 PM

Hello there,

I use ADSL and was in the same boat for a while. My ISP gave me a copy of MacPoET to use and of course, I couldn't update via the control panel, or install any software that required an internet connection as well as having all apps closed in the background.

But there is a solution: Enternet300. It's a program just like MacPoET but it only needs to be run once to connect you, then you can close it and the connection is maintained open, it even gives you some nice statistics such as an activity log, and bandwidth summaries etc. Anyway, my ISP has switched all Windows and Mac users over to it and I must say it is excellent.

So until OS X comes out (which does have PPPoE support built-in (see the following screenshots: http://www.escape.ca/~tbartlett/MacOSX/network1.tiff http://www.escape.ca/~tbartlett/MacOSX/network2.tiff http://www.escape.ca/~tbartlett/MacOSX/network3.tiff )

Anyway this program is something like $30, but I posted it online for those who would like it. It doesn't require a serial # or anything, just install and enjoy!

http://www.escape.ca/~tbartlett/Software/Enternet300.hqx

Feb 12, 2001, 11:59 AM

Unfortunately Apple doesn't post the updates on their websites in a timely manner, so the only way to get updates quickly is via the software update control panel. So, Apple may recognize the problem, but they don't really seem to care.

Originally posted by TT Esq:

Apple has posted a number of Tech Info Library articles on the subject, and going at least a year back, they have continued to recognize the problem, and are looking into a solution. As of now, you are correct -- you must note the software to be updated, and then go and do it yourself.

Hope this answers your question -- and hopefully this annoying problem will be fixed before too long!

Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 12, 2001, 07:19 PM

Ybot:

Thanks for the advice! I went and got that program, and it linked-up just fine, and, for the first time, I was able to use the Software Update control panel to update my software.

However -- I then had problems with it. After the restart, it wouldn't work any more! I tried everything -- reinstall, reconfigure, and so forth. While it said it was making a connection -- none of my internet programs were recognizing the connection. Mail wasn't working, my browser wasn't working. I tried multiple restarts -- but the problem persisted.

So, for now, I'm back on MacPoET, since it's the one supported by my ISP. But maybe I'll give the other one a try should more stuff appear in the Software Update. Thanks again, but it didn't quite completely work out for me.

Feb 12, 2001, 09:27 PM

Originally posted by TT Esq:
Ybot:

Thanks for the advice! I went and got that program, and it linked-up just fine, and, for the first time, I was able to use the Software Update control panel to update my software.

However -- I then had problems with it. After the restart, it wouldn't work any more! I tried everything -- reinstall, reconfigure, and so forth. While it said it was making a connection -- none of my internet programs were recognizing the connection. Mail wasn't working, my browser wasn't working. I tried multiple restarts -- but the problem persisted.

So, for now, I'm back on MacPoET, since it's the one supported by my ISP. But maybe I'll give the other one a try should more stuff appear in the Software Update. Thanks again, but it didn't quite completely work out for me.
TT Esq >> I forgot to mention in my initial post: Setting up Enternet300 is a mini-nightmare because you need to configure many, many things aside from the application itself. I'm not at home right now so I'm recalling these settings from memory so bear with me (I'll reply with more details when I get home).

TCP/IP Control Panel
Did you configure this? You probably did, but it requires tons of tweaking after installing Enternet300. The documentation it includes explains in a rather cryptic fashion on how to do so, again, I'll reply with the details when I get home.

Chooser
Disable AppleTalk, I don't know why, but this seems to help

Remove the MacPoET application, extensions & preferences file
The MacPoET extensions caused many problems for me, so you might want to get rid of them.

Hmm, there's probably more, but I can't think of it now. I'll re-post this in a more organized manner once I'm in front of my computer. I hope these suggestions help in the meantime.

-Ybot

Forum Links
Forum Rules