Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Clock problems

Clock problems
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 11, 2001, 02:13 AM

I have noticed the clock (Date and Time CP) will sometimes totally get off time, for instance, I got up at 3 pm today and it read 7:53 am. What really sucks is I have the computer set to wake from sleep and then play music to wake me up at certain times. Sometimes, not always, the clock seems to get screwed up in sleep. Deleting D & T prefs didn't help, has anyone else had this occur on any OS?

Running 9.1 on iMac DV lime.

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 11, 2001, 05:18 AM

I'd say check to make sure the right time zone/city/state etc is choosen.

Clinically Insane
Feb 11, 2001, 06:01 AM

Yeah, check that as if its wrong and your clock is set to use a time server, it could be setting it wrong. Also check you're using the nearest time server to you if at all possible.
Also, reset your PRAM. It can't hurt. Either hit the CUDA button, or reset holding Apple-Option-P-R and wait for 3 chimes, then let go.
Also try deleting the Clock preferences before resetting the PRAM, see if that helps at all.

Cipher13

Forum Regular
Feb 11, 2001, 10:41 AM

I had that problem with my old PC. Zapping it did not help. If zapping it does not help, you might need to get a new PRAM battery. You might be able to get one from apple if it is still under warenty.
-Al
-Al LeVine
Shpadoinkle.net

bood69  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 11, 2001, 11:33 AM

Thanks for the suggestions....I've already tried most of them, so I'll see what happens.

Mac Elite
Feb 12, 2001, 08:51 AM

Bood -
I've noticed whenever my clock starts doing weird stuff it's usually the first sign that the battery is going south. I wouldn't think that would be the case as you've got a fairly new system and the batteries should last 3-5 years at a minimum, but if all else fails - its a 15 dollar part at Radio Shack. Probably a really pain to get to in an iMac, too.
`Everybody is ignorant. Only on different subjects.' -- Will Rogers

hmr
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 12, 2001, 11:59 AM

I'm on a PowerBook (Pismo A) and I've been experiencing the same thing over the past few days. My clock is now about 10 minutes behind. This happened while it was sleeping. It's not an old machine so I really don't think it's the battery.

Clinically Insane
Feb 13, 2001, 04:31 AM

HMR, reset your power manager - the button on the back of your PowerBook - with a paper clip.
Could help...

Cipher13

Mac Enthusiast
Feb 13, 2001, 07:58 AM

Hmmm...
Cipher, I seem to remember a some kinda "PaperClip Button" back early Pleistocene Era when I used a PB Duo, but I find no such dude on my Pismo? Or was that what happened on Duo when you held the power button (on back ) down for several seconds?
Could you refresh my screen as to what PM reset is supposed to do?
TIA (transient ischemic attach(
Pismo 400 192M Sys 9.1

Senior User
Feb 13, 2001, 11:08 AM

The power reset button is between the VGA and modem connectors on the back of the Pismo.

Clinically Insane
Feb 14, 2001, 04:31 AM

I don't know the technicalities of it, but it resets the power manager - if you drain your battery completely, for example, and can't boot, even from power, reset the power manager and you're right
Hopefully it will help in this situation too...
I believe the button has an icon like this: >o<
I could be wrong though. Thats just from memory. Last time I used a Pismo was ages ago, even longer since I reset the PMU on one

Cipher13

Forum Links
Forum Rules