Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > No DOS formatting in 9.1

No DOS formatting in 9.1
scotts1
Feb 12, 2001, 10:24 AM

Something I noticed last night when trying to share files with my friend on a Windoze PC via a zip disk. I went to DOS format the zip disk and discovered I no longer had that option (either through Iomega tools or the Finder). However when I formatted the disk on my friend's PC and returned the disk to my iBook, the DOS formatting option returned (seems to be only when you have a PC formatted disk in a drive). I've since checked on my B&W G3 at home and my beige G3 at work. Has anyone else found this?

Scott Strawbridge
Art Director
Inprint Design

Mac Elite
Feb 12, 2001, 03:24 PM

I noticed that in OS9, not just the latest update. It effectively prevents you from formatting a disk for a PC user, if you didn't get one from them, or you don't have a PC yourself. There are some older 3rd party disk utilities that allow PC formatting, but I don't feel comfortable with software that's untested in the latest OS releases.

Its a bummer, Apple doesn't show you how it can format, read/write and share files with PC users without a problem. Instead they add barriers to what was once quite easy.

Professional Poster
Feb 12, 2001, 04:18 PM

The Zip tools will let you DOS format a disk.

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 12, 2001, 04:42 PM

The Zip tools will let you DOS format a disk.
Not with OS 9.1. If you still want this feature, you have to use the File Exchange Control Panel from OS 9.0. You cannot format Zip disks with Iomega tools in DOS format with 9.1

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 12, 2001, 08:01 PM

Hey, great tip. It really works again with File Exchange from OS9.0. Don't know what the guys from Apple thougth when they murksed that....

Forum Links
Forum Rules