Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Stupid Microsoft

Stupid Microsoft
Mac Elite
Feb 12, 2001, 07:32 PM

Have you seen the new Windows OS? It is a ripoff of OS X. I am so angry.Gates thinks he is so powerful. Now my Windows friends are happy saying that Microsoft is the best for thinking of all these ideas. I hope Apple can sue them or somethin. This is pissing me off.

Senior User
Feb 12, 2001, 07:58 PM

XP is going to hurt MS. Badly. Stupid things I hear that will be in the OS:

* XML Applications... No More buying programs, instead Windows Users "Rent them" and after so many days it expires (Who knows Windows might expire too after a few days... I guess Windows users are already used to reinstalling their OS 2x a month)

* MS ability to log onto your computer and see what's wrong.... Gee, if MS can log on and see what's wrong, what stops them from looking at other things.

(And since this version of Windows is basically being rewritten, that mean a lot of the bug fixes in 95-Me might return... if not more being added)

but shhhhhhh. If the Fall of MS is going to work we, can't tell them that what their doing is stupid and going to hurt them, while Apple makes a grand and powerful OS becasue they might fix it before the GM is released.

Mac Elite
Feb 13, 2001, 12:15 AM

microsoft knows how to currupt everthing. i hope windows tanks... but imagine what kind of attacks they are opening windows up to... if microsoft can log on, cant anyone? isnt that a big security risk?

There's someone in my head but its not me...

Clinically Insane
Feb 13, 2001, 05:24 AM

Change is bad.
I want MS to continue monopolising the market.
Apple is floating nicely.
Being in the minority is always best.
If Windows tanks, so does MS. They will RELY SOLEY on Office. It'll go sooner or later too.
Now if Apple and Macs become the mainstream thing - Apple will go the way of MS. CQ will drop dramatically, they will have little reason to innovate, and so on.
I think I'm gonna buy the best computer capable of running OS9/OSX - we are going into a Big Brother era, and currently, MS is spearheading that 'initiative'.
I will not use a computer which allows someone to log on and see whats happening. Sure, they can do it now to any OS - but you know what I mean...
DOWN WITH BIG BROTHER!

EDIT: Yeah, thats a massive security hole, or "feature", as MS lovingly dubs them
Anyone will be able to get in. Windows WILL tank if features like that are implemented, and if its 'subscription based' use of your OWN FREAKING COMPUTER.
Assholes

Cipher13

[This message has been edited by Cipher13 (edited 02-13-2001).]

Mac Enthusiast
Feb 13, 2001, 03:32 PM

Sorry, but I lead a very sheltered life...

Where's all this "new Windows ripped off from OS X" evidence to be seen?

Will I have to get a TV and watch for ads?
Pismo 400 192M Sys 9.1

Forum Regular
Feb 13, 2001, 04:40 PM

Originally posted by xyber233:
Have you seen the new Windows OS? It is a ripoff of OS X. I am so angry.
I wouldn't worry too much about it (Windows XP codenamed Whistler). Sales of WindowsMe and Windows2K have been lackluster and owners of Win9x are becoming fatigue from frequent OS upgrades and patches. MS has damaged reputation from their questionable monopolistic tactics. Also, more and more people are seeing the "light" and are joining the anti-MS revolution.
However, I think it is good that MS is rolling out an upgrade...it invites competition, criticism, and comparisons with other OSes.

On the contrary, we are thankful that MS continues to develop software for the Mac community.

Mac Elite
Feb 13, 2001, 04:54 PM

i have to admit i have gotten used to using microsofts macbu products, and though they do have their problems (still bloatware) but then again they have made alot of progress. they are the few good people in microsux... and they should be commended for their actions. I do hope we see more of microsoft products on our side, not because i want to use them, or like to use them... but because they are nice things for new crossovers to see. I dont want macos to become dominant (though i am not against shoving it down on some pc users) but i would like to see us take over a significant part of the marketshare. Let linux massacre the server market, and let macosX make inroads on the desktop market. i hope beyond hope, that we will see more and more crossplatformaibility (if thats a word) with linux

There's someone in my head but its not me...

exa
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 13, 2001, 06:31 PM

Yeah I would hate to see Apple take Microsoft's way and lead a corporate monopolistic business and pump out inferior products that don't work very well. Sometimes the underdogs can start being the monopolies (nVidia almost has the monopoly, for example). I would be content if we went back into the 80s where you always had a mac at home and a pcs for work and unix for servers, it just seems right. You go to work to increase your stress, come home for a nice relaxing session with your Mac. And perhaps, Microsoft will start pumping out products that aren't ultra bloated that work efficiently (their hardware is still pretty good though, typing on an ms keyboard and using an ms trackball).

Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 13, 2001, 07:27 PM

I did some searching and I wasn't able to find any pictures of "XP" other than a couple on Microsoft's website.

I don't know if it looks like OS X to me -- it looks more like a dumbed-down version on Windows 95 (98, 2000, whatever). Big buttons, pretty colors, but still very Windows.

One of the touted features -- Multiple Users! Wow, makes me want to run out and change to Windows! What an innovation!

My favorite part -- one of the graphics for a user is a rubber ducky, which looks like the same one used by the Mac Multiple Users login screen. So THERE'S the thievery -- MS took Apple's rubber ducky! Let the lawsuits begin!

Anyway, here's the site for a view of a couple of screen shots: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/guide/newlook.asp

I'd like to know what others think.

Phaedrus
Feb 13, 2001, 08:53 PM

Those screenshots look butt-ugly to me. I can't believe people actually like M$ products, they are so vile. M$ makes some ok mac products, but even Office is very buggy on my G4 and it's way too overloaded with features I don't need.

Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 14, 2001, 04:13 AM

Phaedrus said: "it's way too overloaded with features I don't need"

By far the most common complaint of M$ products, myself included. You think that they would have listened by now!

I would just LOVE if they had a version of Office with half of the features (i.e, "gimmicks") for half the price! I use maybe 25% of the features, and, quite honestly, so many features is nothing more than a distraction and serious bloatware!

But I can only hope that things will change. . . .

VRL
Senior User
Feb 14, 2001, 07:49 AM

Things are changing. I meet more and more people who are looking at/planning to buy Macs, as well as loading Linux onto their PC. Seems to me that the MS copycat tactics may be one reason, but bigger reasons are MS' desire for more and more control over the user, and expensive/buggy software. The people I talk to are often desparate for a change.

Hopefully, Apple will pick up more and more market share. That would be good for the computer industry.
"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." (Kierkegaard)
"What concerns me is not the way things are, but the way people think things are." (Epictetus)

Clinically Insane
Feb 14, 2001, 08:07 AM

Most of my friends use Windows - and more and more are beginning to like Macs. The limiting factor is price/performance/software.
Or should I say, price/percieved performance/software.
They want Macs, but don't want to be stuck with some cutesy iMac at 350MHz when a P3 800 is available at the same price with awesome expansion. Not to mention the whole software availability deal.
This gives Apple areas to attack. When the next necessary upgrade to Windows comes around - I'm fairly confident these people will jump ship to MacOS.
Time will tell...

Cipher13

Mac Elite
Feb 14, 2001, 02:49 PM

i dont know but those scrren shot look really close like netscape 6

Clinically Insane
Feb 15, 2001, 03:47 AM

Another thing... they both use XML for appearance themes don't they?

Cipher13

Forum Links
Forum Rules