Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Quicktime 5 PR 2 exp. date?

Quicktime 5 PR 2 exp. date?
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 14, 2001, 11:13 AM

Just read, that QT 5 PR 2 shall expire tomorrow, Feb. 15th in the afternoon. Anything known from Apple??
Michael
Regards, Michael

Senior User
Feb 15, 2001, 07:34 AM

That was a a pain in the ass. It took me a couple of goes to get rid of 5 and 4 put back. I must say I was not impressed at all and didn't noticed any real improvements except for the new look which was cool. Mined you I didn't have any problems with it, except trying to remove it!

MM-o4

mkummer  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 15, 2001, 08:57 AM

PR 3 is out and most issues are fixed - as f.e. the problematic Midi Playback. Volume now ok too.
Michael
Regards, Michael

Mac Elite
Feb 15, 2001, 09:02 AM

i guess i've been in a cave, (2 days not using my computer) so my qt5 is gonna expire????/ it would have been nice if apple made that clear when i downloaded it. so i guess i'm too expect my imac to freeze up when i turn it on tonight? (i'm at work right now, otherwise i would update immediately) and i cant go home at lunch..... o.k. you mac guru's, help me out what do i do if it freezes up on startup? and yes, i will just go back to qt4.1.2 i'm not going to go thru this crap every time a new version comes out. damn stupid thing to do to make it expire. especially when it'll screw up your machine when it expires. apple had all my info and my email address, why not just warn me a few days ahead of time?

------------------
" I think,
therefore....IMAC
"The only time that man gets to actually leave a physical mark upon this earth is in death, and even then, it is only a gravestone proclaiming his demise"

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 15, 2001, 10:54 AM

What causes the freeze at startup? Mine just posted a notice saying Quicktime couldn't install because it had expired.

ekoelbel
Feb 15, 2001, 11:44 AM

This really is a pain in the ass. I got the freeze at start-up. Booted off CD, tried to remove the offending QT extension. Wasn't thinking - that was stupid - on re-boot I actually got a system bomb. OK, having fun. Rebooted with extensions off. Went to download preview 3. Of course, no luck since the browsers rely on extensions that were not loaded at this point. Stupid again. Switched system disk to OS X pubic beta. Booted into PB. Classic, of course, froze starting up. Had to kill that process. Used carbon IE to download preview 3. Reboot into 9.0.4, extensions off, run downloaded installer. Restart. Success. Reboot into X, classic works. Start my work day....

A big part of the problem was me not thinking about the best way to fix this and doing some embarassingly stupid things along the way, but nonetheless this whole preview 2 expiration thing was poorly handled. What's the point, anyway, on free software? Can't they just pop-up a dialog at expiration exhorting you to get the new one without actually disabling the thing?

Mac Elite
Feb 15, 2001, 01:14 PM

well i guess what the "beta" in qt5 stands for:
"B"et your a*s this will screw up your
"E"xtensions by the
"T"ime you realize that
"A"pple has screwed up again

------------------
" I think,
therefore....IMAC
"The only time that man gets to actually leave a physical mark upon this earth is in death, and even then, it is only a gravestone proclaiming his demise"

Forum Regular
Feb 18, 2001, 06:31 AM

Qucktime pah!

We had a whole studio disabled because of this.

The easiest way (we found anyway) was to boot up with shift key down) search and trash everything to do with quicktime. Then restart with space bar down to load extensions manager. Turn all extensions off except CD driver. Copy Quicktime Installer to hard drive and reinstall.

Restart (you have to anyway) again with space bar down. You can then go back to your original system startup extensions and upgrade to the new Quicktime... if you dare.

Thanks Apple. We lost about 6 hours collective operating time because of their poor implementation.

Hope this is of help.

Tony Eastwood
Deepest, darkest London

mkummer  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 18, 2001, 06:34 AM

Hi Tony - I cant believe you used a ßeta-version in a real world working situation!! Good heavens!

------------------
Regards, Michael
Regards, Michael

Forum Links
Forum Rules