Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Switch back to original apple disk driver

Switch back to original apple disk driver
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 16, 2001, 06:36 PM

I've installed the FWB HDT disk driver. But now I've the problem that MacOS X won't boot from this drive because it's not compatible. Is there any way to reinstall the original Apple Disk Driver?
g3/315/320mb

Mac Enthusiast
Feb 16, 2001, 10:34 PM

Thats the main problem with those third party drivers, they are so imcompatible. Plus, with most of them, once you have installed the drivers on the disk, you can't get them off without wiping the disk clean (and sometimes that doesn't even work).

------------------
The Mac Information Depot. Why go anywhere else?
Giantmike's Website - Version 5.0

sushu  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 17, 2001, 08:30 AM

i'll use pdisk. it's able to initialize the partition table ...

Yeah! HDT let's you change the active disk driver so it was no problem to reload the Apple driver.
But X stil not starting :-( Maybe because it's 4k46?

[This message has been edited by sushu (edited 02-17-2001).]
g3/315/320mb

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 17, 2001, 06:04 PM

The PB didn't have trouble here installing when using FWB HDT4, but then you're talking something else. Even 9.1 has had some somewhat major changes to the driver table and open firmware.

Drive Setup does NOT provide as good I/O on SCSI as FWB will (using Quantum 10k II). I also like APS Power Tools for the interface - very easy but powerful and informative (probably the same as SL Pro) - and they just came out w/ 9.1 supported drivers. APS is promising OS X driver close on the heels of the final release.

Apple won't and SLPro and APS now won't (they use to) take over another driver - meaning FWB is the only one that will even attempt (after backup of course).

I ran into major issues with HDT4 if I installed OS X on UFS volume (gave it full drive dedicated just to the Beta) - it inserted some special drivers during the install that showed up in the detailed volume list for the drive.

Gregory

sushu  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 18, 2001, 05:01 PM

finally found a option in fwb to change the active disk driver, now using apple disk driver again. 4k46 still not starting after install. interesting is that i can't boot DP4 from cd anymore ... or let's say sad. this was my last chance for using X :-(
g3/315/320mb

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 18, 2001, 09:45 PM

sushu, how did you get rid of HDT ? I want to do the same thing.

sushu  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 19, 2001, 10:37 AM

hervon: start HDT. in device view double click on your hard drive. you see the partition table. there is listed fwb's disk driver but you can also find the old apple disk driver here (don't ask me why but i had two apple disk drivers installed in my partition table). anyway you click on "IDE Driver" (Name Macintosh) and then click on the button "Configure Driver". There you've the option of making it the active disk driver. After a restart everything should work (you can check this with apple system profiler f.e.).
Important: you can only change the active disk driver with HDT when running with FWB's own disk driver, but this shouldn't be the problem :-) If it doesn't work, mail me, after this fwb trouble i know really much more about partitions on mac then before ;-)
g3/315/320mb

Forum Links
Forum Rules