Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > can a defective keyboard corrupt system?

can a defective keyboard corrupt system?
Mac Elite
Feb 18, 2001, 06:59 AM

Hello.
im in my second cycle of progressing system corruption. trial and error suggests my keyboard is intermittently deffective, and might be sending strange into to the comp.
I get a 'spave-bar-beeping' if the Remote access panel is left open on the desk top, as if the spacebar where held down. after this starts if I unplug the keyboard it continues.
some of my partitions do not show up on the desktop. booting from DiskWarrior, they still don't show, and DW knows they are there, and in trying to rebuild the DT, DW does not complete the operation, and cancels itself for no apparent reason.
if I boot with the keyboard unpluged, DW will repair the various partitions.
maynay pplications quit unexpectedly with the keyboard plugged in. I couln't empty the trash with the mouse with the keyboard plugged in, as it seems to cancel itself very quickly. I could empty the trash with the keyboard uplugged usig the mouse. eveything seems to work fine if I boot with the keyboard unplugged, and just do ' mouse work'
I tried different USB ports for the keyboard, same effect: with it plugged in at start-up, and kept plugged in very bizzare things happen.

so, a malfuctioning keyboard? USB port(s)? system corruption? or some of all?

thanks. I will probably have to buy a new keyboard and see. Hope it fixes it and I don't end up with TWO keyboards and a Sick Mac!
MacPro 2.66 dual 3GB RAM 1.5 TB HD's
24" + 21" Samsung flat panels
Miglia mini HD (Great!)

Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 18, 2001, 10:56 AM

Have you tried trashing the keyboard preferences? Do you know anyone with a keyboard you can borrow to make sure it is a problem with your keyboard.If you buy a new keyboard make sure that you can return it if the problem remains.

WDL
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 18, 2001, 11:23 AM

What make of keyboard.

Have seen posts from users having problems with non-Apple keyboards.

WDL

Forum Links
Forum Rules