Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Partition

Forum Regular
Feb 18, 2001, 07:34 AM
I am planing to run 3 OS smoothly in a single HD:
1 for OS 9.1 (5GB, upgrade to OSX),
1 for OS 9.1 (2GB, so I can run exist software w/o classic in OSX),
1 for OS 9.0.4 (1GB, install ton of junks, playing inside its system folder and for some other experimental thing).

Right now, I have 2 OS (9.1 & 9.0.4) inside 2 volume by using Drive Setup and having some minor problems, Please help me out:
1. Desktop show up 2 set of alias, (1 set from '9.1' disk, 1 set from '9.0.4' disk) no matter which is startup disk is chosen. I want desktop only display the alias w/ Original inside startup disk. Is it possible? In other word, each desktop is different.
2. Is it possible to initialize just 1 volume inside a 1 drive with Drive Setup?
3. Is 'Zero all data' better? Will it speed up the OS? Beside 'Zero all data', how can I del all the invisible files?
4. What is the best way to install multi-OS in a single drive going to have 5+ volume?
5. When I first started up my mac, I got a fancy welcome setup page (welcome in many language flying to your face, remember?) how can I access to that page again?
6 ??? I don't know what should I ask, this is my 1st time 'format' a mac, any tips?

Mac Elite
Feb 18, 2001, 08:23 AM
Ive had several partitions/drive on mult OS for some time and Ive noticed that there is always trouble not knowing what HD the desktop items belong to. as the clutter on your desktop continues, there is no way to know unless you get info ive found. as each partition mounts its desktop stuff is always displayed. I know of no way to keep the partitions vissible and only see the system's desktop.
if you hide the volumes, which you can with something like SilverliningPro, then you only see the desktop items of the mounted disks. this is a minor flaw of Apple's OS. this goes for partitions, floppies, cd's, magnetic media etc. tobad here wasnt' a utility that would add to the desktop item the HD/Floppy/cartridge it belongs to.

hope helps
MacPro 2.66 dual 3GB RAM 1.5 TB HD's
24" + 21" Samsung flat panels
Miglia mini HD (Great!)
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 18, 2001, 04:46 PM
Setting a volume to not mount is one option, but then you can't easily switch boot.

I noticed that OS X PB even has the Bootx thing on the CD for installing.

Don't put aliases on the Desktop, put them in a folder on the drive and then open that folder via the Startup Items in System Folder has worked for me.

X and 9.1 dont' get along so I am afraid to reinstall the PB and trying to wait six weeks.

Make sure your disk driver doesn't get updated/modified or something during all this.

Forum Links
Forum Rules