Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > annoying annoying bomb messages!!!

annoying annoying bomb messages!!!
chicheong
Dec 18, 1999, 08:50 AM

I bought my iMac DV SE about a month ago. I have experience endless bomb messages at the startup. "Type 10, bus error, illegal instruction...etc.." I called the my local AppleClub technical support. They did not help much. I have done several clean reinstalls, software installs. It puzzled and annoyed me was that it worked for awhile and then it did not work. For example, I did a software install (use the disk from the bundle), then I installed Chinese Language Kit 2.0 and used the updater from OS8.6, I added SimCity 3000. It worked quite fine afterward. I shutted down and turned on several times. No problems. Why I did this? Because my son's friend came this morning to play computer with him. I just made sure that the iMac worked fine. You know what. This morning, I turned on the iMac. The bomb message "bus error" came up which I have experiened several times after the icons at the startup came up. I was so damm frustrated. I had to use 20+ minutes to reinstall the OS 8.6 and the same things I mentioned earlier. Now it is evening here, the iMac still works fine (I better touch wood!) Someone can tell me why and solve the problems for me? By the way, I am not a new Macuser.

Regards

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 18, 1999, 04:40 PM

Norton Antivirus if it loads early sometimes. USB devices can. Damaged System file. Reinstall doesn't replace the system file. Extension Conflict. Run Conflict Catcher test.

newsmac
Dec 19, 1999, 10:55 AM

Chicheong, several possibilities, several possible solutions: If the Imac did this from day one, then you should exchange it for a new one. If the problems started later, then consider these options: 1) After your clean reinstalls, did you trash the "previous system folder" from your HD? If not, then do it and restart, as your system may be reading info from corrupted files.
2) Did you turn off NAV before installing ALL software? This could have also caused some file to become corrupted. If not , then try again. 3) If playing games on your system, then you probably have gamepad controller and/joystick attached. Sometimes the drivers for these devices are either out of date and/ or not completely compatible with your Operating System version, especially with OS 9. In this case, go to the website of the manufacturer and download the updated drivers and try again, remembering to turn of NAV first. 3) If all else fails, you could erase and re-initialize your hard drive, and then re-install everything fresh from the CD's. This should be A LAST RESORT, since it involves a lot of time and effort, so consider all other options first and also try some other forums to see if anyone has other possible solutions. Good luck, and let us know how things work out.

[This message has been edited by newsmac (edited 12-19-1999).]

Admin Emeritus
Dec 20, 1999, 01:32 PM

Considering you have done several reinstalls, determine whether there is a hardware defect: boot off the 8.6 CD and run Graphing Calculator (off your hard drive, it's not runnable off the CD). If you still get system errors, then there is a hardware defect.

tooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules