Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Funky Cut & Paste capability desired

Funky Cut & Paste capability desired
Dec 2, 1999, 04:31 PM

I'd like to be able to insert new cut & paste
capabilities into every mac application's Edit menu. I want to be able to cut as usual but store the contents into a file on the HD. Then I'd like to be able to paste as usual, but it
should copy from the same file I used when I
executed the cut.

(In short, I want to replace the clipboard
with a file of my choosing -- specified
using some preference UI).

Does something like this alreayd exist? If not, any suggestions on how I should proceed would be appreciated!

[An small extension of this idea would be a
capability to support multiple files, like
having multiple buffers/clipboards & one could
designate which one to use when the cut/paste
is invoked.]

Mac Elite
Dec 2, 1999, 07:36 PM
Solution 1:
one easy way this can be accomplished without using any additional softare is to simply select what you want to copy using a selection tool and then drag and drop your graphic selection right on to your desktop....if your using Mac OS 8.5 or later this will create a clipping your graphic selection (as a file) right on your desktop.....you can do this with mulitiple files and even make a seperate folder for all your clippings...you can then later insert these clipping using drag and drop back to another application program if your application supports drag and drop if not you can probably use the File Open or you can just double click on your clipping file and select copy from the edit menu of the finder then use the edit paste command from your selected software such as graphic converter adobe etc etc etc.

Solution 2:
go to http://www.download.com ...make sure that you are on the mac page for download.com ....use the search box ...search for "clipboard" and words of that nature....I'm not exactly sure but I'm pretty sure there are some apps that can do what your asking for.
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 1999, 08:07 PM
Oh yes! There is something like that all right. It's called CopyPaste, and you can get it from http://www.scriptsoftware.com

CopyPaste is worth ten times the asking price. It adds a clipboard that can store up to 100 items (10 each on 10 clipboard sets) and they are available to any application. The Clipsets are saved permanently, until overwritten. CopyPaste is by far the most useful, best Mac utility in the universe, IMHO.

And there's more, it does neat text editing tricks as well. Once you have it, you'll think you were in the Clipboard Stone Age before, because... you were!
Ya gotta applaud those bunnies for sacrificing their hearing just so some guy in Yonkers can have better TV reception.
Dec 5, 1999, 09:45 PM
CopyPaste looks very useful, thanks both for the ptr. It is missing the ability to copy and paste to/from a file... What I want to do is
to copy from one mac and paste on my other
networked mac. If they shared a file/clipboard, then I could do this over a (inter)network.

I did send the CopyPaste guy this suggestion
as a very slick product enhancement idea. I hope he implements it...

Dec 17, 1999, 01:41 PM
Just stumbled across this one and thought it might do what you're looking for. Let us know!

"With QuickScrap, you can send the data on the clipboard instantly to a scrapbook file, a ScrapIt Pro file or a QuickScrap file (from now on all three file types will be referred to as a scrap file) by pressing a key of your choice (without having to open the Scrapbook or ScrapIt Pro at all)! The QuickScrap file can be used as a multiple clipboard containing as many as 100 items! You can have QuickScrap automatically copy any selection you've made in any document you're working on and send the data directly to a scrap file with one keystroke.

Another handy feature of QuickScrap is that you can set a 3Hotkey2 to allow you to type a quick note (or edit text on the clipboard) and send it to a scrap file without having to leave the application you're currently in.

You can set another key to open any scrap file, display all the items in a gallery view or alphabetical list view and allow you to select an item and instantly have it pasted into whatever document you're editing.

This program performs functions that will benefit any Mac user and is extremely simple to set up and use. You can now define all those useless function keys on your extended keyboard (along with any other keys) to perform extremely useful tasks!"
Forum Links
Forum Rules