Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > MacOS pause with menus/mouse button

MacOS pause with menus/mouse button
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 16, 1999, 10:39 PM

One of my biggest complaints with the MacOS, and this bugs me to no end, is how everything stops when you select a menu, pop-up menu, or even simply hold the mouse button down. I'm very happy to see that this is not a "feature" of MacOS X Server nor, I assume, Consumer!

My question is this: where does this trait come from? Is it simply due to the lack of true multitasking in the Mac? I'm curious to know why this hasn't been corrected in MacOS so far, and I think I'm safe in assuming that it's buried too deep inside the system software to be changed - if that isn't the case, I have a bone to pick with Cupertino!

As a side note: I had an interview with Apple about a couple of months ago (on my University's campus), and the interviewer asked me what, if anything, I would change in the MacOS. I wish I had thought to suggest this then.

Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 17, 1999, 02:07 PM

rdarden, the answer to your question. The reason why the action stops when you pull down a menu is because the code that the menu is written in is not multi-thread aware. Programs can have many threads so that when one stops, the others keep going, however when the menu is pulled down, it stops everything in the system. This is also partly due to the cooperative multitasking that is in the MacOS. If the OS was preemptive and multi thread aware, then when a menu is pulled down, nothing stops, not even the current program running. This is built into OS X because of Unix. So not to worry, that trait will not be around for long! I hope that this info cleared some things up for you.

Admin Emeritus
Dec 20, 1999, 01:45 PM

There's a shareware program called MenuTasker that makes menus only block the foreground program, but allows all background processes to continue unhindered when a menu is open.

tooki

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 22, 1999, 06:01 AM

MenuTasker is a good program, but i have a few gripes.
If you have irc text, or something else in the backround that is moving that is directly under the menu that is pulled down, it will distort the menu, and it doesnt refresh it (id assume cause the mouse is clicked)
Thats my 2

------------------
-See Yea!

Forum Links
Forum Rules