Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > I almost hung myself tru lousy extension

I almost hung myself tru lousy extension
MikeSmith
Dec 18, 1999, 04:16 PM

I downloaded a file. A startupsound disabling-extension. And wanted to insert the extension with the rest in the extensionfolder..when absolute H E L L broke loose.
My systemfolder moved itself to the desktop and left nothing behind on my harddrive..No, I am not making this up..After that my finder crashed multiple times and I HAD to reboot. (notice : I have no decent backupequipment yet because the rewriter i ordered was a LaCie and my dealer cancelled all LaCie-orders due to bad service ) I was really screaming to my iMac. My world was deleting itself. My "lifework.doc" would be no more in a few seconds !! Luckily I don't wear ties at home, because I would sure have hung myself.
After rebooting with installationdisc everything was back to normal(!?). Know this : I have Norton, McAfee and Virex, none gave a warning.

Dec 18, 1999, 04:53 PM

What on earth was the name of the program and was trying to enable a three-second (arguably annoying) sound worth all of that? I presume the sound you're referring to was the start-up chime...

What is your system profile? Hardware, software, etc.?

Do you think it's viral in nature, or just a wiggy installer or setup program. It sounded like it was a simple extension that **should have** just dropped nicely into the extension folder of your system folder, right?

Let's hear more of your "near death" experience, so perhaps others can avoid your perilous brush with disaster!!!

------------------

Mac Elite
Dec 18, 1999, 09:48 PM

interesting, you say this happened on an iMac?
3 weeks ago i was installing a rather large app on my girlfriend's iMac when it decided it was time for the find by content indexing to start...end result was an unrecognizeable hard drive. tried to recover in the mac with norton 4.0 CD to no avail, so i bought a new western digital ide drive and reloaded it with all her software. I am still trying to figure out how to get all her files off that disk, probably gonna put an IDE card in my 8500 and try from there to recover...any ideas?

objectofdesire
Dec 22, 1999, 05:45 PM

A message from the almost-dead..

the name of the program was quietstart or something. I got a hint from disectamac that it would help me get rid of the DAAaangg noise the mac makes when it boots.
(I am still gratefull to D. , as he tried to help)
but i can tell you..my mac has never been so f****d up before. My modem disconnects every 2 minutes and I need a hard reset of my external modem before it will reconnect again (that means pulling the plug) furthermore I still haven't received my rewriter so I am still stuck with this awful system..I am so unhappy. give me my life back..I beg of you !
Oh yeah, and I found out my manager gets payed 11x more than me (= $999,- a day) . things need to change..

Mac Elite
Dec 27, 1999, 03:20 PM

See what happens when you try to mess with your ROM? I don't see what could POSSIBLY be so annoying about a SMALL three second chime! The only way it could get annoying at all is if you're like an old roomate of mine and reset your computer every three minutes. Geez, just turn your volume down or plug something in the speaker jack.
"The young people of America need be taught that the only pride they may properly hold is in the content of their character, and the achievements they make. There is no legitimate pride or moral credit to be gained by virtue of sharing the same race with a great and admirable individual. "

My Website

Forum Regular
Dec 27, 1999, 04:08 PM

This extension was developed for powerbooks and is very handy when trying to be quiet starting your powerbook say...during a conference. I have it installed on my wallstreet, and so far have no problems.

------------------
You do not really understand something unless you can explain
it to your grandmother."
- Albert Einstein
You do not really understand something unless you can explain
it to your grandmother."
- Albert Einstein

Forum Links
Forum Rules