Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Volume Header Problem under 9.0.4

Volume Header Problem under 9.0.4
Senior User
Apr 22, 2000, 12:26 PM

I don't know if this problem is widespread, as I haven't noticed any topics related to it, but I've seen it now on a pair of computers, both iMacs (one Rev. A, the other Rev. C).

After installing 9.0.4, at some point you'll notice that the computer says your entire hard drive is empty: i.e., for a rev. A iMac, it claims there are 4.1 GB available, even though the files are clearly there and will run if you click on them. If you restart, the dreaded question mark folder appears.

I rebooted from the System 9 CD and ran Disk First Aid. It found one minor problem with the Volume Header and fixed it at once without hassles. I restarted, and the computer found the System Folder immediately. I've had no trouble with this odd Volume Header confusion since I first fixed it on my Rev. A; just today I fixed it on my mother's Rev. C.

Hope this might help if the problem crops up elsewhere.

Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 22, 2000, 01:58 PM

I can confirm that this happens on G4s. My G4 said that it had something like 19.14GB left. It has a 20GB HD, so I presume this was the formatted capacity. I ran TechTool Pro, which fixed this problem.

------------------
Simon Kornblith
Computer Consultant
Programmer

Forum Links
Forum Rules