Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Saving RealPlayer Files

Saving RealPlayer Files
Forum Regular
Jan 23, 2000, 07:55 PM

Can anyone tell me how to save a RealPlayer file to my hard drive?
Thanks

------------------
Travis Hreno
Department of Philosophy
University of Western Ontario
London, Ontario
CANADA
threno@julian.uwo.ca
Travis

Lorihun51
Jan 23, 2000, 08:46 PM

Hi Trapper,
click on the real audio link and hold until the contexual menu pops down. Copy the link to the clipboard. Now paste the link in your browser window (works for both IE and Netscape) You have now pasted the URL for the ram file link in the browser window. What you want to download is the whole audio file or the ra or the rm file. The ra file is for the older versions of Real audio, the rm file is the newer versions of Real audio.
So..... delete the m on the link in the browser window, so you will be left with the URL/ song name.ra
Now click on GO in IE, or click your ENTER
keyboard button for Netscape.
Your song file will be downloaded and when it is finished downloading, Real Player will open and play it.
I have all my downloads going straight to my desktop, so they are easy to find. Your file will be wherever you have your files downloaded to from your browsers.
PS....if the .ra doesn't work, then do the same thing but make it .rm .......it just means that the file was encoded on a newer version of the Producer.
I hope you understand, if not feel free to e-mail me..
Lorihun51@aol.com

Trapper  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 24, 2000, 05:25 PM

Hi Lorihun51:

I'm having a little trouble following your instructions. When I save the URL to the clipboard, I get this:
http://www.film.com/watch/hurl.dyn?r...ne/onion_1.smi

However, when I paste this into the location window of Netscape 4.7, I can't seem to get the sound file to download. It's a very funny sound file, and I was hoping to send it to a friend. They're running an older system and I don't think they can run RealPlayer, otherwise I'd just direct them to the URL. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for your help,

------------------
Travis Hreno
Department of Philosophy
University of Western Ontario
London, Ontario
CANADA
threno@julian.uwo.ca
Travis

Lorihun51
Jan 24, 2000, 10:28 PM

Hi Travis,
Well...normally, what I told you would work. But.... that site is really hard to figure out.
I can tell you, that even if you could download the clip, your friend would not be able to open it without Real Player. The player is the only application that can play rm or ra files. I'm sorry I couldn't help you out here.
Lori

Jan 27, 2000, 12:59 AM

Well, most RealAudio files are "streamed" as you listen to them. That is, the file you are saving is just a link to the streaming server, so it will do no good to a RealPlayer-less friend.

RealAudio streamed files are not really meant to be recorded. Presumably this is for copyright protection reasons.

There are some clever workarounds however. You could connect an audio cable from your microphone jack to your speaker jack, and just "record" the sound as it plays using any sound-recording utility such as SoundEdit or Peak.

Perhaps a more elegant solution would be to use a screen-capture utility to save the entore playback as a QuickTime .mov file. Then use SoundApp or SoundJam to strip just the sound as a standard mac sound file or an .MP3.

There are some realPlayer documents that are fully contained and playback-able without a net connection. but you'd still need RealPlayer to play it back. There are some windows utilities that can convert these to .WAVs, but I don't know of any that exist on the Mac.

Forum Links
Forum Rules