Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > iDisk: REALLY SLOW

iDisk: REALLY SLOW
maswell
Jan 19, 2000, 12:27 PM

Ive got a cable modem at home, and mounting/using idisk is like driving a ford fiesta uphill.

Whats up? I can't convince myself that there are _so many_ mac users on that it is congesting the system. Am I the only one that needs 3-5 minutes to mount a freakin' disk over a cable modem connection???

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 19, 2000, 12:43 PM

Yup... It was painfully slow on my cable modem too.

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 19, 2000, 01:02 PM

I second that frustration. I have a G4 and cable modem. Maybe the update to the installer would help...

------------------

scott
Jan 19, 2000, 02:28 PM

Ive got a cable modem at home, and mounting/using idisk is like driving a ford fiesta uphill.

The problem here may be that some cable modem services are only fast when bringing data downstream, and are no faster than a regular 33.6 modem when sending data upstream. Even in these cases, web browsing is blindingly fast, because the only data that your Mac has to send upstream to a web server is something like this:

"GET / HTTP / 1.0"

This is a very small amount of data. The rest of the data is coming downstream from the webserver in the form of HTML, images, animations and so on.

However, with something like iDisk, there is constantly being data sent from both the server and the client. This particularly true when uploading files. So while things may seem fast when you're browsing the web, that doesn't necessarily mean other internet services will be the same. And there is, of course, an inherent problem with cable modems. Unlike DSL, they all run off a shared line. So if your neighbor two houses down the street is watching streaming video, that eats out of the bandwidth available to everybody in the area.

Now, back to the upstream issue. Not all cable internet services have such slow upstream rates, but I suspect that is the problem. The only other thing I could think of is things might be bad if you're attempting to use some version of Mac OS other than 9.

For reference, I'm using a 144k DSL line, and my iDisk pops up on the desktop right quick. Usually 3-5 seconds.

- Scott

------------------
Scott Stevenson
Associate Editor,
MacNN

Professional Poster
Jan 19, 2000, 02:40 PM

also for reference: iDisk mounts in (usually) less than 10 seconds using the 'ServerMounter' method, on a LOWLY 56K dialup!!

IMO, ServerMounter is easiest/fastest way to mount your iDisk...

[This message has been edited by wlonh (edited 01-19-2000).]

maswell
Jan 19, 2000, 03:09 PM

Thanks for the replies!!

Just FYI, my cable modem is a two-way, so the upstream connection is still extremely fast.
I don't think that is the problem (but I have been wrong...)
I am running OS9, so Ill try the ServerMounter approach.

Thanks again.

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 19, 2000, 04:35 PM

Scott (Admin):
Your comment "...and are no faster than a regular 33.6 modem when sending data upstream..." is not necessarily true.
With a one-way cable setup, the user must dialup using a regular modem for uploads - the speed depending on your modem, etc.
With two-way modems, the speed can be as high as the ISP sells you. Mine is a 512k down, 128k up setup.
That said, the slowness is to be expected. Think of how many people are hitting this thing! Use it late at night and you'll see better speeds. I wouldn't even have atetmpted such a feat without serious hardware in place! Apple is taking a wonderful leap here, so be patient!

Scott

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 21, 2000, 12:27 PM

I have iDisk mounting on a 7100/66 running OS9, connected to a T1 line. Displaying the 176 files in my Sites folder took about 5 minutes for every 20 items.

The problem was solved by using the list format for the folder and the very small generic icon under view options.

It now scrolls through the files as if the disk is local.

Eph Fithian
fithian@fast.net

Forum Links
Forum Rules