Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > password issues

password issues
ericrosen
Jan 21, 2000, 02:21 AM

the problem is simple:

My hard drive was erased after I uploaded eight months of notebooks and hmtl code to my I-TOOLS drive. attempts to locate the password for the account have revealed nothing, although I know the names of files on the drive. calls to the apple company have revealed nothing. The files contain irreplaceable information.

calls to apple:

refused to give any customer support of any kind, or release extensions, or even the name of the division/department of the company directing the I-TOOLS project.

observations:

No one in the computer industry operates this way-

I and other I-TOOLS users have accepted an agreement with apple computers, inc. In legal terms this implys a receperocal arrangement, much like between an isp and its subscribers:

This problem isn't going to go away, and suggests just how unresponsive to its consumers, apple computers, inc. is.

a. does anyone know what I should do to get this entirely unique information off of their computer systems ?

b. any thoughts on attempting to publicise just how little the apple company is towards its consumers, and towards fufilling its end of its contactual agreements with consumers ?

Professional Poster
Jan 21, 2000, 02:37 AM

look, it is a shame what has happened to you, but I would consider it highly inadvisable to use such a new service for such sensitive data... and I would personally never use an off-site means of backing up such sensitive data, I would want as much control over said data as is possible.

Further, in the terms of membership it very clearly states:

"AVAILABILITY OF THE SERVICE

While Apple will make all reasonable efforts to ensure that iTools is available at all times, Apple does not guarantee, represent or warrant that iTools services will be uninterrupted or error-free, and Apple does not guarantee that members will be able to access or use all the iTools features at all times.

Apple may change, suspend or discontinue any (or all) aspects of iTools at any time, including the availability of any iTools feature or content. Apple may also impose limits on the use of or access to certain features or portions of iTools, including a charge for or imposition of a subscription or other fee for use of iTools or any part or feature of iTools, or restrict your access to any part or all of iTools, in all cases without notice or liability.

Apple also does not guarantee or warrant that any content or data you may have in your account at iTools will not be subject to inadvertent damage, corruption or destruction. You are responsible for backing up, on your own computer, any important documents, images or other content -- Apple will not be responsible for any archiving or back-up of any such information. If any data, messages, images or other content in your account and stored on the iTools system is damaged, lost or corrupted in any way, Apple will have no obligation or liability to you."

And you have already agreed to this by registering as an iTools user. The user 'agreement' is not unreasonable by any means and I take it for granted that if something should go amiss with the service that I am entirely responsible to be certain that my data is secure and backed-up where I can get my greasy mitts on it, on-site and/or on some removable media in a fireproof vault...
anything else and you are taking BIG chances.

[This message has been edited by wlonh (edited 01-21-2000).]

Senior User
Jan 23, 2000, 11:39 AM

If you forgot your password, click the "I Forgot My Password" link or whatever it says on Apple's iTools login page. HTH

Jan 28, 2000, 04:21 PM

I agree with namanik. click on "I forgot my password" and then answer the question. If you do, you'll be propted to create a new password that will let you in to your files.
Good luck.

[This message has been edited by shorton (edited 01-28-2000).]

Forum Links
Forum Rules