Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Bold System Bar in 9.1???

Bold System Bar in 9.1???
Feb 20, 2001, 09:06 PM

Granted I just got my mac last week and im still learning, but after upgrading to 9.1, and being on the internet I have a bold system bar (apple menu, file, edit, etc, etc) and i dont know why. currently I was running IE5, AIM 4.3.1232 and the finder,

i have 320 mb ram so i know thats not the problem, but why am I getting a bold menu and how can i turn it off? i tried using appearance but it wont do it. help!!!

patrick.
Patrick J Ketelaar
Aerospace Engineering student, Parks College of Engineering and Aviation

Professional Poster
Feb 20, 2001, 10:47 PM

I had the same problem after upgrading OS 9.1 I restarted and that fixed it and no more problems.
{{{ mindwaves }}}

Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 21, 2001, 12:50 AM

This problem is caused by AOL's AIM. There is a thread in the Internet Apps forum. Search for it there and see if someone found a solution. More than a year ago I used to have this problem. I have no clue how it 'fixed' itself.

I have the latest AIM release and Mac OS 9.0.4.
brown is sweeter
me_puter: outdated

Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 21, 2001, 02:08 AM

It's a bug that was introduced by AOL IM a few versions ago. I don't know what triggers it -- but while running AOL IM, it will cause a system-wide bolding of the menus.

To date, they have either been unwilling or unable to do anything about it. While it is widely-reported and fairly common, I don't know if they have yet acknowledged it.

While annoying -- thus far, it seems to be harmless. You can just ignore it until you get around to restarting your system, which seems to get rid of it (until you go back into AOL IM once again. . . .)

Clinically Insane
Feb 21, 2001, 02:20 AM

Its harmless, but annoying.
To fix it, launch AppleWorks.
Or if AppleWorks is already open, go to quit it.
If you have unsaved changes, just hit cancel, and its right.
If not, it'll quit all the way, and be right again.

Cipher13

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 21, 2001, 03:31 PM

I've noticed AIM doing it most often when you have an "IM Image Connection" running. You really can't expect too much from AOL though.

Forum Links
Forum Rules