Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Software update-problems

Software update-problems
Feb 23, 2001, 12:26 PM

I know that Software update isn't reliable, but I now have two files that software update say are available(Url Access 2.3 and Carbon Lib) but I can't find either of them on Apple's website to download. Recent changes doesn't list either file and if you search for URL you only get version 2.1.

Multiple e-mails to Apple have been no help,first they replied I should check the website(which was the reason for the e-mail), then, that I should contact a service provider, and lastly(that they are putting my e-mail on file). But have yet to post the file for download that I can find.

Is there another downloadable source of these files?

Forum Regular
Feb 23, 2001, 02:56 PM

Do you have the latest version of Software Update?

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 23, 2001, 05:18 PM

I had trouble getting Software Update to work with Compuserve 2000...it kept logging me off, or failing to download the whole update. The only thing Apple will tell you is what you already know. Just make sure you have the newest Software Update version, and do a manual search for the rest. I don't know of an alternate source for the files, but I have found all of my updates by manually searching the Apple database, title by title.

Nigel's home page

[This message has been edited by nigeljedi (edited 02-23-2001).]

Senior User
Feb 23, 2001, 06:42 PM

I also was unable to successfully complete the downloads of URL access 2.3, and Carbon Lib 1.2.5. At least, that's what Software Update told me (with a bomb and an error #). However, when I checked the extensions, I had the updated versions.
Go figure.
Who are the Brain Police?

kwyjibo  (op)
Feb 24, 2001, 12:58 PM

If software update 1.2 is the latest version, then I have it.

A search of apple's website, with sherlock and the website search, only have url access 2.1 and carbon lib 1.0.4 as options for download.

It just seems ridiculous that Apple would have files available via software update only, especially since it acknowledges that there are people who cannot use it, including me. And that the workaround is to use the website, which doesn't have the files.

Forum Links
Forum Rules