Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Mysterious Boot Disk Appearance

Mysterious Boot Disk Appearance
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 26, 2001, 01:22 PM

I fired up the computer the other day and noticed a new hard drive partition on the desktop called "Boot OSX". Does anyone know where this came from? I certainly did not (intentionally) create this volume. Nor have I started up Mac OS X(PB) in a few weeks. It is only an 8 megabyte partition, but it is a nuisance. How can I get rid of this? I have the sneaking suspicion that this may have been there all along but was invisible and somehow has made itself visible. Can anyone help?

Feb 27, 2001, 06:35 AM

Since OSX uses Drive Setup to partition, and Drive Setup can not partition without reforating, I find it unlikely that installing OSX created a partition on your drive withou you knowing about it.

Are you sure it is not just a disk image with a hard drive icon? Search for a .SMI file called Boot OSX. Otherwise try ejecting the vollume. If it dissapears you know right away that it was a just disk image.

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 27, 2001, 08:54 AM

[No this is not a disk image, give me some credit here....this is a real live partition there and it contains an item named bootx and I would like it to be gone now please. Thanks for trying.
C

Forum Links
Forum Rules