Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > iTunes and single-track import

iTunes and single-track import
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 27, 2001, 11:13 AM

I'm using the iTunes hack noted on MacNN yesterday (I thank you) to run iTunes under os8.6. It seems to have killed off the help files, so I'll ask here:

Is it possible for iTunes to import a single song track from a cd? Seems like a dumb waste of time to import all the tracks so you can erase the two songs you hate. Or, if your computer crashes halfway through importing a cd, you have to start over if you want the last six tracks? You must be kidding..

Specifically, I'm trying to import a few single tracks from an audio/data cd. When I choose 'convert to mp3' under the menu, it wants me to open a file, but in the cd I can only see the data files.. any ideas? Apple's iTunes page is worthless if you're looking for help..
Help find a cure for Malaria: crunch D2OL for Team Macnn.

Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 27, 2001, 12:22 PM

After you insert your CD, click the CD icon in the "Source" iTunes window. Notice that by default all tracks are checked. If you only want to import just track three, remove the check marks next to the other tracks and click "Import."

To answer your other question, if iTunes cannot see music tracks on a hydrid data/audio CD, it was burned incorrectly. On multi-session CDs, you need to burn the audio first and data second; otherwise, CD players will be unable to read the music files.

druber  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 27, 2001, 01:30 PM

yep, that makes perfect sense. thanks for holding off on the valid cheapshots. iTunes can see the music tracks fine when selecting the cd in the source menu. it's just the 'convert to mp3' menu that can only find the data tracks.

thanks again. i keep saying it's time to get a burner, but i'm actually starting to mean it.
Help find a cure for Malaria: crunch D2OL for Team Macnn.

Forum Links
Forum Rules