Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > More on DFA and that Wrapper issue...

More on DFA and that Wrapper issue...
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 27, 2001, 01:03 PM

Hey, there:

I followed jodo's thread from a few days ago and learned a good deal about DFA, but now I've encountered a related problem of my own:

I recently upgraded to OS 9.1, partitioning my drive into four while I was at it. I ran DFA 8.6 on all partitions and was notified that on each the Wrapper file was damaged. DFA repaired the problems on all but the VOLUME ON WHICH IT RESIDES. On that volume I am told that "DFA can't repair while other applications are running." There are no other applications running and if I click continue or cancel, the system freezes.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Storyboy

------------------
"The only consistant people I know are dead."

iMac DVSE 400/128/13
OS 9.0.4
Indeed, I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just.

iMac Core2Duo 2.16GHz/3G RAM/250G HD OSX 10.6.6
Various Peripherals

RLeatherwood
Feb 27, 2001, 03:38 PM

Disk First Aid is the open application. To fix all the partitions, run Disk First Aid from either a CD or if you have one, an external ZIP. Your best bet is to use a BOOT CD with Disk First Aid on it.

You could also try running Disk First Aid with all the extensions disabled.

jodo
Feb 28, 2001, 09:10 AM

the problem as i understand it is that your drive will not dismount while it is running an application ..... so booting from techtool pro cd or disk warrior cd may well work too.

jodo

cpu101
Feb 28, 2001, 06:34 PM

Even if you dont see any open applications it does not mean that no apps are active.

For example
Did you know that the Control Strip was an application? How about Colorsync? Yes these are ordinary everyday applications that run in the background even if your not using them. These little extensions are on all the time and if you dont use them much your cpu will suffer in some apps.

One way to figure out which extensions are active apps is by de/selecting all the "appe" file types in your Extensions Manager. It is also helpful to wiew youe extensions as pakages so it can make it easy to find the disabled extension and the family it belongs to. However if you use these appe extension alot like control strip its better off to leave it on. I personally remove all these extensions. I got used to not having a control strip and besides I like my Mac running full power. I dont need all the Bells and Whistles.

Forum Links
Forum Rules