Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Newer MaxPowr G3 400/200 trouble

Newer MaxPowr G3 400/200 trouble
Thread Tools
Mike Cashwell
Guest
Status:
Reply With Quote
Oct 15, 1999, 08:28 AM
 
Even with a clean install of the base MacOS 9 and Java, if I add version 1.3.9 of the MaxPowr extension, my system hangs hard just after the MaxPowr banner window appears below the boot-up window.

Without that extension (or with the shift key down to block all extensions), the machine boots fine, but is slow since it hasn't enabled the backside cache.

I'm going to open my system tonight to read the serial number off the card so I can ask Newer directly (What a pain!), but given their "don't call us" response regarding ever supporting OS X, I have little expectation of any solution from them. Once they have your money, you can forget it. If they were on the ball, they'd already have an upgrade out, but alas the latest version is from July.

So has anyone else run into this or know of any solution?
     
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Oct 1999
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 21, 1999, 09:55 AM
 
I have a 7100 upgraded to a maxpower G3. I contacted Newer and they told me they arte working on a fix. So far nothing.... If anybody has any more news. Post here so the rest of us can no what is going on.
     
Mike Cashwell
Guest
Status:
Reply With Quote
Oct 21, 1999, 02:14 PM
 
I've found more information. By altering the extension so it would load last (scri -> INIT and changing the spaces at the front of the name to a ~) I am now able to boot with the extension working.

However, the system still hangs sometimes. One repeatable case is during the scan for "Devices and Volumes" in Apple System Profiler. Another that sometimes happens is when Toast tries to read from the CD-ROM drive.

Interestingly, both Apple System Profiler and TechTool Pro 2 show incorrect system-reported CPU clock speeds. (Their measured speeds are right.) I wonder if there's code in MacOS 9 (or a driver) which is basing some timing calculation on this incorrect speed and failing because of it.

Let's hope Newer figures it out.
     
   
Thread Tools
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:12 AM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2015 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2