Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > SoundJam -> iTunes

SoundJam -> iTunes
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 28, 2001, 12:30 AM

I have about 1600 MP3's at the moment. They are all organized in playlists in SoundJam. They are all in my Master Playlist, in folders of Artist (in alphabetical order), then in album (in chronological order), then in track order on each album. I do my best tokeep up my tags, but i have lots of loose songs to that don't have the rest of the albums. Is there A way I can import all of these into iTunes while preserving my own classification?
I jsut dropped my whole MP3 folder in and it jsut goes by artist, then album, adn when you click on an album, it doesn't even play them by track order! it goes by alphabetica order based on the artist! Not to mention even the 1.1 update doesn't even recognize my burner. So basiclly, iTunes looks phat, but it sucks.

------------------
Make Money With Your Macintosh!

Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2001, 04:29 AM

LOL I like iTunes!

------------------
Mac OS for productivity.
UNIX for stability.
Palm OS for mobility.
Windows for solitaire.

NormPhillips@alnora.com
AIM: Norm1985

Senior User
Feb 28, 2001, 06:15 AM

Originally posted by Norm1985:
LOL I like iTunes!

Me too, it has some problems though with Varible Bit Rate MP3's that I had created back when SoundJam was SoundJam. It think's the MP3 is shorter in time then it is. Besides that, I like it.

Mac Enthusiast
Feb 28, 2001, 06:53 AM

iTunes has worked perfectly for me. Just arrange it by artist or album it doesn't have to be in alphabetical order. BTW if you change the info for the songs from your albums and put them in a playlist arrange hem by the track number and it will play in order
Are you or are you not the black angel of death

Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2001, 05:40 PM

iTunes is COOOOOOOOOOOOOLL!!!!

------------------
Mac OS for productivity.
UNIX for stability.
Palm OS for mobility.
Windows for solitaire.

NormPhillips@alnora.com

Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2001, 02:12 AM

HAHA!

------------------
Mac OS for productivity.
UNIX for stability.
Palm OS for mobility.
Windows for solitaire.

NormPhillips@alnora.com

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 6, 2001, 08:44 AM

iTunes handles song order very well, actually.

1) Make sure you've got your MP3 tags indicating the song order.
2) Pull up the artist you want to play (type in the name in the search box).
3) If the songs aren't already arranged by album, click on the "Album" bar at the top of the iTunes window.

...now all of your songs should be in correct album order (not alphabetical order). Good luck!

ps. But can anybody tell me how to batch convert all of my MP3's to iTunes icons? (So that double-clicking takes me to iTunes instead of SoundJam????)

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 6, 2001, 01:06 PM

Scott thats all fine and dandy, except I have about 1600 MP3's. I tried to keep the tags up to date, but not all have the same versions of ID3 tags, so some album namde and some artist names get truncated, and hence become different artst adn different albums. And single songs that I don't have the whole CD of, they just float around in thier own albums, all by themsleves. I'm definatly goona be sticking with SoundJam. And iTunes doesn't even have an EQ does it?

------------------

[This message has been edited by l008com (edited 03-06-2001).]

[This message has been edited by l008com (edited 03-06-2001).]

Forum Regular
Mar 6, 2001, 10:20 PM

I love iTunes! At first I was skeptical and kept SoundJam, but I gave it a shot and I love the interface and how it behaves like a finder window. ITunes is also very stable for me and does not eat memory like SoundJam did!Not to mention it is FREE! Okay, so it doesn't really have an equalizer, but I am sure Apple will address that soon enough

Mac Enthusiast
Mar 6, 2001, 11:41 PM

iTunes is awesome... Sure it doesn't have all the features, but its free and has one of the simplest easiest interfaces to use. I still have soundjam on my hard drive, but I rarely use it... rarely as in never.

Ben

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 6, 2001, 11:52 PM

Yeah i'm sure its great if you only have a few MP3s, but when you have ALOT of them, it's organization system sucks.

------------------

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 6, 2001, 11:54 PM

Like if a song is a particular artist and featureing another artist, well that become a seperate artist, even if it's on the same album, thats horrible

------------------

Mac Elite
Mar 7, 2001, 04:49 AM

I got it to work!

Okay, this works in OS X 4k60 with iTunes 1.0.1d3 (carbonized) and SoundJam MP 2.5.2 (carbonized); so, your mileage may vary if you're on OS 9... blech.

Open iTunes and make a new playlist. Open your old playlist in SoundJam, select all, and drag from the playlist window in SJ to the new blank playlist area in iTunes. After everything imported (which may take a minute), every one of the 1856 mp3s in my custom-arranged list were in the correct order.
The server made a boo boo. (403)

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 7, 2001, 08:39 AM

Yes, you must be the master of your own collection. For my high level of anal retention, it's very satisfying to make the MP3 tags jive. It's of course better to do this as you go (after you download or after you rip).

It seems you've put a lot of effort into creating SoundJam playlists for each of your albums, something I did too before iTunes was released. If you like using playlists the SoundJam way, you can always create a new list in iTunes & drag your SoundJam playlist into it. This would take a while since you have so many playlists, and it would create a rather messy column of lists in iTunes. But it would work.

l008com dislikes that iTunes separates songs on the same album if they have different artists (ie. John Tesh vs. John Tesh with guest vocalist Eminem). If you sort by album instead of artist, you've fixed it.

Senior User
Mar 7, 2001, 10:42 PM

The easy way to update all your ID3 tags is through MP3Rage or some such utility (easily found at www.pure-mac.com) Then iTunes can do the work you want it to...

JB
---------------------------
"Time will tell. It always does."
-The Doctor

Mac Elite
Mar 8, 2001, 02:03 AM

IOO8com is cool.

------------------
Mac OS for productivity.
UNIX for stability.
Palm OS for mobility.
Windows for solitaire.

NormPhillips@alnora.com

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 8, 2001, 01:14 PM

Well if you say so...

------------------

Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 8, 2001, 04:33 PM

Originally posted by scottrussell:
ps. But can anybody tell me how to batch convert all of my MP3's to iTunes icons? (So that double-clicking takes me to iTunes instead of SoundJam????)
I created an droplet using Chaotic Software's excellent File Manipulator application.

http://home.earthlink.net/~notepad/mp3-2-itunes.sit

Simply drop your mp3's (or the folders they are in) on the droplet and your files will be changed. One caveat, this looks for an .mp3 extension, so your files must end in .mp3. Good luck.

Forum Links
Forum Rules