Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > MWSF Predictions from AAPL employee

MWSF Predictions from AAPL employee
Forum Regular
Dec 5, 2000, 12:11 PM

I have a friend who works for Apple and here's what he had heard around the office about MWSF:

1) Powerbook G4
2) Upgraded G4s with 750mhz
3) DVD-R

He also said that there would be 2 new original applications (the ones Jobs referred to in his earnings announcement conference call). He wasn't sure if they would make it to being presented at MWSF, but "maybe." I personally think Apple needs a shot in the public relations arm, so lets hope it's true.
---------------------------------------
Dominey Design
http://www.domineydesign.com/

Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2000, 12:33 PM

750mhz ha!, that would be a miracle

Banned
Dec 5, 2000, 08:58 PM

I can tell you, without any doubt, that there will be a new Powerbook. No word on its being a G4 though.

------------------
Our fathers were our models for god. And if our fathers bailed on us, what does that tell us about god?

Professional Poster
Dec 5, 2000, 10:51 PM

Originally posted by The Dude:
I can tell you, without any doubt, that there will be a new Powerbook. No word on its being a G4 though.

well, i can tell you, without any doubt, that there will be a conference at MWSF. and vendors. and lots of people. and...

-r.

Phaedrus
Dec 6, 2000, 01:21 AM

G4 powerbook I'm pretty sure of. Moto announced a new low power G4 chip back in September, so it makes sense that a new powerbook would use it.

Jobs affirmed that there would be CDRW/DVDRW coming soon. This is a winning combo, lets hope it makes its way into iMacs-not just powermacs. It will use Radiologic's burning app., with an apple GUI, of course, but it will allow asynchronous burning. Sounds like Apple is going to have the best CDRW in the industry, even if it did come late.

Powermacs at 750MHz? I hope so. Anything less wouldn't be enough, so maybe Jobs wasn't full of sh!t when he said they are going to close the MHz gap. If so, rock on! (I hope that I can get upgrades for my 400MHz G4--that would rule!)

Clinically Insane
Dec 6, 2000, 01:49 AM

Dude is right.
I am willing to bet everything I own on Mercury being released.
Seriously.
As for the rest?
I an sceptical.

Cipher13

Senior User
Dec 12, 2000, 03:30 AM

Using Steve's formula from MacWorld July (G4[speed]*2[Duel Processor]*2.1[amount faster G4 to Intel Pentum III, that 2.1 I think is higher for the pentum 4 ]

750*2*2.1=3,150MHz=3.2GHz

Mac Enthusiast
Dec 12, 2000, 12:53 PM

1) Powerbook G4
2) Upgraded G4s with 750mhz
3) DVD-R
1) We've been talking about that for a long time now, so no surprise there.
2) Better late than never!!!
3) That too was earlier much much anticipated...

Nothing new as a whole, but that's a pretty good confirmation. Apple is on the right track.

Mac Elite
Dec 12, 2000, 01:03 PM

Originally posted by bleen:
Using Steve's formula from MacWorld July (G4[speed]*2[Duel Processor]*2.1[amount faster G4 to Intel Pentum III, that 2.1 I think is higher for the pentum 4 ]

750*2*2.1=3,150MHz=3.2GHz
just because you have 2 proccesors doesnt means its twice as fast, comes pretty close though, especially with osx

Forum Links
Forum Rules