Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Will OS 9.1 fix volume issues?

Will OS 9.1 fix volume issues?
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 7, 2000, 02:27 PM

Hey,

I hear that OS 9.1 will be available soon and that it adds some changes to the Sound Control Panel. Can anyone who has played around with it a bit tell me if the changes address the unusually loud volume of the 1999 iMacs built-in speakers? Even with the volume slider as far down as it will go, output is ridiculously loud.

I have seen threads related to this issue here before, so if 9.1 doesn't fix it, I am wondering about a different fix. Is the issue the same with the 2000 models?

Thanks

------------------
---
iMac DVSE 400mhz/128M
OS 9.0.4
Indeed, I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just.

iMac Core2Duo 2.16GHz/3G RAM/250G HD OSX 10.6.6
Various Peripherals

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 8, 2000, 05:58 PM

that is a GOOD question... my in-laws bought an iMac last spring and it is impossible to put the volume at an acceptable level. my mom's iMac is the model before and mine is a new dvd-sage one --neither of which have the problem.

I'll be installing 9.1 on the problematic iMac in a week or so when we go to visit for the holidays so if the question is still unanswered here, I'll post my results.

Stupid bug in those machines that nobody seems to acknowlege or know how to fix! :-(

Senior User
Dec 9, 2000, 01:18 AM

Wow, I have the same model, DV SE 400 purchased 11/99 and have no problems with volume control. Does trashing sound prefs change anything? Also the sound control panel has an output volume control, and the individual speakers have volume controls in speaker setup. Can't you adjust volume using any of these controls?

[This message has been edited by Fredo (edited 12-09-2000).]
Who are the Brain Police?

Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 9, 2000, 04:57 PM

Originally posted by Fredo:
Also the sound control panel has an output volume control, and the individual speakers have volume controls in speaker setup. Can't you adjust volume using any of these controls?

[This message has been edited by Fredo (edited 12-09-2000).]
Actually, the master output slider on the sound control panel seems to mirror the slider on the control strip; also, the speaker setup sliders work as relative balance-type controls (at least on my machine). The problem comes in when I am listening to audio through an application that has no master control of its own, ie. Toast, some streaming media, and some games. When listening to CDs through the built-in CD player, or through SoundJam, I can get the sound low enough so as not to disturb anyone else in my small house.

Thanks for the input, though...maybe we just have different ideas of what is and is not an acceptably low volume.

Indeed, I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just.

iMac Core2Duo 2.16GHz/3G RAM/250G HD OSX 10.6.6
Various Peripherals

Forum Links
Forum Rules