Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Application Program Not Found

Application Program Not Found
Forum Regular
Dec 8, 2000, 10:02 AM

I have a G4 with MacOS 9.04. I have downloaded some files and documents. When I try to open them I get the message: Document could not be opened the application program that created it could not be found. What is wrong and how do I fix the problem. Thanks

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 8, 2000, 10:51 AM

Well, do you know what type of documents they are? If the are text documents try opening them from inside an application like Word, BBedit or even SimpleText. If they are images try Picture Viewer or Photoshop.

Basically if you know what type of file they are just go to an appropriate application and from its "File" -> "Open" menu find the documents and open it up.

Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2000, 12:48 PM

Sometimes I get the same problem. It usually happens if I download something that is compressed, then stuffit expander starts working and makes some mess. It decompresses and leaves something unusable on the desktop. In the get info window if usually states that it is a Stuffit Expander document. But I am usually expecting something else after decompression.
I just open that file with ResEdit, and if it looks like an app (which is the case usually if you are downloading an installer file) I end up checking the file type and creator in the get info (under file menu in ResEdit).
I set the file type to APPL, and set the creator to ????. That usually fixes the problem and I can launch the Application, and install whatever I want to.
This only works for Applications, like an installer file.
If you have a document that is compressed and not usable, you cannot set the file type to APPL and use it. In those case I usually set the file type to ????, and creator to ????, and try a couple of different kind of sw hoping that one of them will open it up. For graphics I use Graphic Converter, or Photoshop, for text files I try to use Word. These softwares usually have lot of different translators built in and able to recognize file types.

Hope this helps you and I wasn't too confusing in explaining the process.

Tom

Forum Links
Forum Rules