Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Should Apple Make OS X pc compatable?

Should Apple Make OS X pc compatable?
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2000, 12:35 PM

So what do you think? Apple was currently considering this (as they were a decade ago with the current OS) but decided not to so because they feared sales would fall on their hardware. Their theory was that people would buy a cheap-ass pc to run their software and it would jepardize any new hardware sales that would come from OS X's release. I disagree with this. I know a lot of people that bought Mac BECAUSE of the hardware, DESPITE the OS. OS X could be a seriouly a threat to windows, but it's limited compatability will hurt its customer base. Not everybody can afford the luxury that is Apple hardware.

"Sing it again, rookie beyach."
My website

Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2000, 12:55 PM

This topic was discussed so many times, on so many forums, including this one as well. Not sure what to tell you. Apple should do whatever makes them strong, and stable in the future. That is what every company wants to do. Sometimes it is hard to tell what is the right decision, even if others think that the solution is obvious. I hope that they will make the right decisions. I will stick with them, as I did for some more than ten years. I love the Operating System, love it's "simple complexity". I got around the whole system without haveing to learn cd.., or md.. commands. It was always something more than the other systems for me.
THe hardware part of Apple amazed me as well most of the time. They do have great ideas, and great products. Right now they are a bit behind, but it i not always something that they can change.
I am sorry that I didn't answer your question straight out, but this is a topic that is very difficut to answer and be right anyway.

Tom

Senior User
Dec 8, 2000, 03:14 PM

I once stumbled across a website that was basically put together by a bunch of PC users that were/are campaining for OS X! Personally, I doubt it will happen.. If I find the web add again, i'll post it here..

Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2000, 03:23 PM

i think the website you talking about is www.osxonintel.com

Senior User
Dec 8, 2000, 07:14 PM

Yup, thats the one..

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 9, 2000, 09:24 AM

I think they should port OSX to Intel, but not so it will run on ANY intel box, but only the ones that Apple makes

Apple should jump ship on the Motorola processor and start using Pentiums (but add something to their mother board that allows them to maintain the Mac OS running only on their hardware). A move like that could accomplish a few worthy goals: 1. It would eliminate the clock speed wars - a big help when it comes to the appeal of the computer to the general public, putting Apple back in that game or rather making it moot (we know clock speed wars don't amount to much but we're not PC users ) 2. Using Intel's chips could make it easier for developers to port Windows software, cutting into MS's domination of the PC world, and 3. It might make the hardware cheaper, good for us users as well.

With a UNIX core and Intel hardware it very well could be that Apple would make themselves a threat to Microsoft in the OS department as well as seriously increase their market share and once again shake up the industry. I'm sure there are a lot of considerations to be made when talking about such a huge shift... but as far as the developers and users I think it would only be good, afterall, if the developers stayed w/ apple thru the PowerPC leap and the OSX change, I think they'de mostly stay w/ apple thru another chip change, and not only that but the pool of available developers would increase more than it already is w/ the change to UNIX.

Seems like a winning move.

-Al

Mac Elite
Dec 9, 2000, 11:11 AM

I'd rather see Apple jump to the IBM version of the PPC Processor and tell Moto to go piss up a rope, those incompetent bastards! Although I doubt it will ever happen, I feel much better for saying it.

Personally I don't think Apple will ever port OS X to Intel. That move could cost them huge hardware sales. The only way to make up for that would be to charge pc makers exorbitant fees for bundling OS X with a new computer or by charging something like $500 for a copy of OS X.

------------------
-bo47

"There is no spoon."
iDisk: rseijas
Homepage: homepage.mac.com/rseijas

Banned
Location: "Joisey" Home of the "Guido" and chicks with "Big Hair"
Dec 9, 2000, 04:01 PM

Port it over, AND drop hardware prices in the process.

This way people that like intel boxes can have thier OSX and long-time Mac users won't be making a mass migration to a cheaper PC just because it's "cheaper" and will run the OS.

Unfortunately not dropping the hardware prices would only lead to people defecting to intel boxes. In which case DON'T ever port over the OS. (pretty obvious)

A sacrifice would have to be made somewhere in order to facilitate an intel OSX. But I do know there are many intel/amd/whatever users out there that are very interrested in OSX. Actually I know a few that are considering a hardware purchase so they can run OSX, so maybe not porting it over is a good idea also.

Only time will tell what happens.

Mike

Forum Regular
Dec 9, 2000, 06:59 PM

Port it over, but play an MS and keep the PPC version one rev ahead!

Keep the Apple hardware quality, look and feel, even if it does cost a bit more. Compare the quality of a Dell Dimension L and an iMac, which cost about the same, btw. The iMac is way ahead. I don't think it's in Apple's best interest in trying to be the cheapest, if that means cutting quality.

Mac Elite
Dec 9, 2000, 09:32 PM

I personally do not think that Apple should port it over to a PC platform, however if they did they should make it just a little cheaper than MS ME, and sell the Mac version for a hundred bucks. That way if a person wants to buy a PC Apple makes money, or they could consider buying a Macintosh. If they can make it so the cost for a PC and a Macintosh are roughly equal there is more of a choice for a buyer, and at that point I think it's a clear choice.

Forum Links
Forum Rules