Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > DEFAULT CATCH!

DEFAULT CATCH!
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 8, 2000, 10:37 PM

Ok...here's the deal. I'm on a Rev B. iMac with 96MB RAM and 20G harddrive running OS 9.0.4...originally. I found a copy of OS 9.1 (GM) on a server somewhere and decided to try it out. I did a clean install with it. It didn't work, all I got was a grey screen at startup and not even reaching my happy mac screen. So, I booted off a cd, deleted the 9.1 system folder, then restarted into 9.0.4. Well, the same thing happens. I decided to zap my PRAM, just because. Now I get this error:

DEFAULT CATCH!, code=300 at %SRR0:ff***** %SRR1: 0000b030

the starts seem to be any random combination of letters and numbers. I can still boot up off of a cd, but can't off of my hard drive. I've delete my system folder, reinstalled, and reinsatlled again. still no luck getting this to work. Any suggestions? I hope this is fixed by the time the actual release comes out...I'd hate to waste my money on an OS if this happens again.

Doug Steigerwald

gravco  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 8, 2000, 10:40 PM

oh yeah...that DEFAULT CATCH! error has been scrolling down my screen for the past 20 minutesDEFAULT CATCH!

Professional Poster
Dec 8, 2000, 10:59 PM

reinstall 9.0.4 and wait for 9.1 to be released... to the public.

-r.

Mac Elite
Dec 9, 2000, 12:07 AM

I bet there's a boot ROM issue at work.
And that's true too.--Shakespeare, King Lear

gravco  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 9, 2000, 12:14 AM

oops...posted in wrong place

I did get rid of 9.1...put 9.0 back on...didn't work...then 8.5 didn't work...so I reformatted and put 9.0 back on and it works fine...good thing I have a good internet connection at school

Doug Steigerwald
(NC State)

Senior User
Dec 9, 2000, 08:21 AM

You may well have lost or corrupted the drivers for the hard disk. Norton Utilities or Tech Tool Pro may well be able to sort it.Apples Drive set up might do the trick too.

Mac Elite
Dec 9, 2000, 09:11 AM

thats what happens when you get hacked versions of apples software

Forum Links
Forum Rules