Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > FIle Sharing Oddity

FIle Sharing Oddity
Forum Regular
Dec 10, 2000, 07:53 PM

I have an airport network setup between an imac dv and a pismo powerbook - when I access disks via file sharing/appleshare, it shows that there is only 3.99GB available even though there is considerably more space. WHy is this and is there anything I can do about it?

Clinically Insane
Dec 11, 2000, 01:16 AM

It will always show a maximum of 4GBs no matter how big the drive. I think MacOS only supports up to 4GB of network file transfers at a time. You have more than that, you have to do it in chunks.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Clinically Insane
Dec 11, 2000, 05:43 AM

No its just the built in File Sharing that limits to 4 gigs I think - I run AppleShare IP on the Dual 500 and can see all 7 gigs left (out of 40 )

Cipher13

Mac Enthusiast
Dec 12, 2000, 05:12 PM

Yeah, Cipher is right, I used to run a network with AppleShare IP, and it didn't have this problem.

Does anyone know of a fix for this situation? I need to back up my Rev B iMac drive this afternoon so I can swap it for the new 30 gig one I bought. If all else fails, I'll just copy a few folders at a time, but I wanted to just drag the whole disk over to copy to make sure I get invisibles like the Desktop DB and stuff.

I could've sworn I'd read about a fix for this, but maybe I'm nuts. Anyway, please post if you know of one. Thanks.

Mac Enthusiast
Dec 12, 2000, 05:16 PM

Just found this thread over in "Airport and Networking." Not much help, and neither is the TIL article that is linked at the end of the thread (it talks about 8.x, not 9, but the situation is the same just with different version and disk-size numbers). But it might be interesting nonetheless.
http://forums.macnn.com/cgi-bin/Foru...ML/000811.html

Forum Links
Forum Rules