Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Wrapper System file

Wrapper System file
marc riede
Dec 14, 2000, 11:33 PM

I just updated Disk First Aid and it threw up this:

Wrapper System file needs to be replaced,O,O

The question is does Disk First Aid actually repair the problem or am I going to have to ask what the hell a 'Wrapper System file' is? It goes on to say the HardDrive appears OK.

Thanks in advance, marc.

marc riede
Dec 15, 2000, 12:28 AM

I just ran it again and there was no mention of Wrapper System file. Who was that phantom?

------------------

Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 15, 2000, 12:30 AM

It repairs it. This explains what a wrapper system files is. http://developer.apple.com/technotes...tml#HFSWrapper

Art D
Dec 15, 2000, 12:42 AM

Hi Marc,

Well, bil207 beat me to it. However, I think you'll still find Apple's TIL #31056 interesting. You can find it here.

Art

[This message has been edited by Art D (edited 12-15-2000).]

marc riede
Dec 15, 2000, 07:57 AM

Thanks guys:

I've bookmarked the page 'cause I'm too far gone to understand any of it.

If someone's got the short answer, I'd appreciate it.

marc.

Professional Poster
Dec 15, 2000, 09:38 AM

okay, there are 2 types of formats for mac disks. one is HFS and the other is HFS+. HFS is the older format which was used before OS 8.1 or so and it was superseded by HFS+ which allows you to have a smaller file allocation sizes on large disks which is good because it saves space (eg. drives have a minimum size they can allocate to files, so if you've got a 1KB file and a drive that has an allocation size of 8KB, the 1KB file will take up all of that 8KB of space... all files under the allocation size will take up the entire 8KB or whatever the size is).

anyway, for compatability, HFS+ disks have a wrapper that allows them to be mounted on systems which can't read the HFS+ format. with this wrapper, an older system can see and mount an HFS+ volume, but the only files that will appear on the disk are some readmes which explain that the volume is in the newer HFS+ format which older systems don't support. or something... never tried it myself.

-r.

Forum Links
Forum Rules