Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Disk Doctor Vs Disk First Aid

Disk Doctor Vs Disk First Aid
Forum Regular
Feb 2, 2000, 02:47 AM

Just a little info concerning the ability of Disk First Aid Vs Norton's Disk Doctor. I went to my son's home to do a little trouble shooting. His computor 6116PPC is 4/5 years old and Disk First Aid was never run.

1. I ran DFA twice and found a few things wrong which DFA repaired...

2. I had to run Disk Doctor three times before It gave a clean bill of health and repaired all.....

3. Now get this. DFA found and repaired three items...... Disk Doctor found and repaired thirty four (34) items. ..........

George

------------------
George
bigbiker

Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 2, 2000, 03:49 AM

DFA isn't as extensive as NDD. DFA's primary purpose is to see that disk looks right and all of the invisible disk structures are ok. NDD looks at icons, modification dates, etc. in addition to what DFA looks at. There will be times when NDD would fix things that DFA wouldn't and vice versa.

Sometimes NDD needs to run a few times before it cleans everything. Make sure that you have version 5 of NDD for that purpose.

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 2, 2000, 04:10 PM

Let me share on this one:

I have an iMac DV. I ran Disk Doctor from the bootable CD and it detected an error in the master sector (or some such) and recommended fixing it. I chose to do so, and just as I did, the program froze. My hard drive icon disappeared, and the computer just sat there. For a minute, I was afraid to do anything because I didn't want to destroy my new computer. Clicking the menu bar worked, but none of the items in the menus would work. Maybe you can imagine my heartbeat elevating dangerously?

So, I manually ejected the Norton CD, rebooted the machine with the button on the side, and I quickly inserted the Apple Install Software CD that came with the computer. I knew that it had Disk First Aid on there. The iMac booted from the CD and after running Disk First Aid, it repaired the same thing that Norton found, but it repaired it successfully.

I don't like Norton too much anymore, and after this scary five minutes in limbo, I think I might be moving onto better things. DFA for now, and I'm taking suggestions on other software for major repairs.

Thanks for the space,

michael

------------------
Le ver vert va vers le verre vert.
Le ver vert va vers le verre vert.

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 3, 2000, 08:17 AM

I've had wonderful luck with Disk Warrior. There was one time that it saved me from re-initializing my hard drive and starting from scratch. The new version 2.0 is out now, but on back-order. I really recommend getting it, as it is one of the best disk utilities out there.

Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 3, 2000, 12:25 PM

I don't think that DiskWarrior fixes bad dates and wrong icons like NDD does.

Professional Poster
Feb 3, 2000, 12:44 PM

gene, you are right.

all utilities available for Mac have worked well for me and none have ever given my Macs a problem.

your mileage may vary and just because some people have trouble with this or that utility on their Mac does not mean that it is a bad utility. i have seen and read of every sort of disaster happening with every available utility for Mac, the exception being DiskWarrior which i have never read of doing any real harm to anyone's HD.

i'm currently using only DiskWarrior and PlusOptimizer as they were not 'broken' by MacOS 9.

[This message has been edited by wlonh (edited 02-03-2000).]

Forum Links
Forum Rules