Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Desktop DB & DF files & privacy concerns

Desktop DB & DF files & privacy concerns
juan valdez
Dec 15, 2000, 04:10 PM

The other day I burned a CD of a folder from my desktop for someone. The person came back to me me with a copy of my "Desktop DB" & "Desktop DF" documents opened in a text editor application. In these 2 files were names of documents, email addresses, extension and application lists from my computer. i found this rather disturbing as I had personal information listed in these files accessible to anyone who had access to the CD.

Can anyone tell me, is this because i burned a Cd from my desktop as opposed to a subfolder or someplace within my harddrive?
How can I prevent this from happening again?
Is there a way to delete the info within these 2 files?
What do the desktop DB & DF do?

Professional Poster
Dec 15, 2000, 05:12 PM

the desktop DB and DF files store file type and creator information, icons, etc. they're necessary for your machine to know what kind of document each file is, where it is, what its icon should look like, and so on. as far as getting rid of them, you won't be able to do that on your machine as it needs the file to work properly. for burning CDs though, you might try copying your files to an empty partition and burning from that volume... then erase the partition when you're reading to burn another disk.

-r.

Clinically Insane
Dec 15, 2000, 07:49 PM

If you are using Toast to burn, when you drag the files to the CD the Desktop files appear in the Toast window...
When you drag a folder or whatever that is...
You can then delete them from the Toast window and they will not be burned.
But... I'm just thinking that could be a bad idea seeing as they contain info about the files to be burned
It actually contained email addresses?!?
Dude that can't be right...
Why would it have email addresses?
I just opened the two desktop files... one was 800K but contained only a few characters (I'll take it apart later), and the other one is jibberish, interspersed with semi-readable stuff...
And its over 3 megs
I'll keep looking into this though...

Cipher13

Forum Links
Forum Rules