Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Modem problem

Modem problem
Dec 16, 2000, 09:21 PM

I have an inexpensive Supra Express Modem and a beige G3 desktop with a 466 MhZ uprade processor. It will be a year before I can get a high speed line. I hope to get a new computer when OS X is pre-installed and Apple makes a significantly faster computer

My modem often makes a clicking sound and disconnects.
Is this a problem with OS 9.0?
Is the modem defective?
Can I get an internal modem?
Should I wait for OS 9.1?

????
THANKS,
Sincerely,
Dr. Ledgard

Forum Regular
Dec 17, 2000, 08:04 AM

Hi
If you've got os9 as opposed to os9.04 you should update, it's free (and improved)
Different modem scripts perform differently with different setups, I'm not sure I know what you mean by 'clicking'? There was a collection of scripts called 'modem puppet show' search for it using yahoo or whatever. Download and try some of the G3 external ones by dropping them in your modem script folder then choosing them via your modem control panel. Might help, might not. Might be hardware after all.
Good luck

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 17, 2000, 11:55 AM

Those are good suggestions. You also might want to hook a voice phone up to the line and listen. Hit a number to get rid of the dial tone and listen for static - it could be a noisy line.

While DSL and Cable might not be available have you looked into a satelite hook up? On the pricey side ($70/mo?) but might be worth it if you have to wait a whole year for something else.

-Al

Dec 17, 2000, 12:45 PM

Thank you very, very much, both of you!!! You help people!!!

Sincerely,
Dr. Ledgard

Forum Links
Forum Rules