Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > usb printer sharing?

usb printer sharing?
wobbet
Jun 17, 2000, 11:59 PM

i just installed usb printer sharing on my network at home. i have an iMac and an iBook. i set up the iMac with the printer (epson color 740) and shared the printer using the usb printer sharing control panel. i created an internet clipping by dragging the printer from the "my printers" pane of the control panel to the desktop.

from the iBook i install the printer driver and the usb printer sharing control panel. i try to find the shared printer using the "add" button in the "network printers" pane of the control panel. doesn't show up. i drag the internet clipping to the network printers pane and it shows up there but doesn't show up as an option in the chooser. the only thing that shows up as an option for the printer in the chooser is printing to the usb port.

what am i doing wrong?

rjsjr

wobbet
Jun 19, 2000, 09:39 AM

okay, this is really silly. i install the usb printer sharing, and then the printer driver and then the remote printer. now i go to the chooser. i select the SC740 as my printer and it gives me a "choice" of ports. the number of available ports is 1 - USB #1.

when i select the usb port on one of the remote computers and try to print, the computer trys to find the printer on the usb port. since it isn't there, it doesn't work.

but, if i deselect the port it correctly prints to the hosting machine.

silly, very silly.

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 19, 2000, 12:28 PM

What kind of network on you on, and how is the iBook/iMac connected?

wobbet
Jun 19, 2000, 12:50 PM

i'm on an airport network at home. no wires

i have apple talk enabled.

rjsjr

Professional Poster
Jun 19, 2000, 12:59 PM

not sure if this is relevant to you...from macfixit today, 06/19/00:

"Printer Sharing and AirPort Regarding the USB Printer Sharing software from Apple, Mark Mosher claims: "It won't work on a network where the host is on a DHCP segment with AirPort and a client is on an Ethernet segment with a static IP, even if the printer is visible in the Browser." We have not had other confirmation of this as yet. However, this comment by Sam Maffei may be relevant (we're still trying to figure this all out ourselves): "The Network tab of the AirPort Admin Utility has an option to 'Enable DHCP over Ethernet.' If you leave this unchecked, DHCP will only be provided to wireless clients and will not distribute addresses out over the Ethernet port of the base station."

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 19, 2000, 01:06 PM

Hey Wobbet,

Check the read me file with USB Printsharing,
it won't work with Appletalk enabled.
Printsharing is via TC/IP only

wobbet
Jun 19, 2000, 05:07 PM

like i said earlier, it is really silly how it works, but it works.

all of my macs are on an airport network with one acting as a software base station distributing out NAT addresses. appletalk is also enabled for file sharing.

i have to manually copy the internet clipping of the shared printer to the client machines which is annoying but okay. when i go to the chooser and select the printer i have to manually de-select the default port (USB) so that nothing is selected in the port.

when i print, it works. whether it is supposed to work or not, i don't know but it works. that's all i really care about

rjsjr

rsorenson
Sep 28, 2000, 03:40 PM

I'm experiecing a peculiar problem: printing over airport base station (airport 1.2) between a G4/400 and an iMacDV (both running OS 9.0.4 and USB Printer Sharing 1.0) prints great on an Epson 740 (driver 6.33E)--until whenever I shut down the remote machine. If I restart it, the 740 shows up fine on the remote G4's Network Printers tab, but when the G4 goes to print, it hangs or says "The printer is not responding, please check connections or make sure it's turned on." This is so even though the printer works fine _all the time_ with the iMac to which it's connected physically by the USB cord. If I un-install the printer driver on the remote G4, and then re-install the printer driver, the Epson prints over airport fine--until I shut down the remote machine, when the problem returns!

What am I doing wrong??

[This message has been edited by rsorenson (edited 09-28-2000).]

[This message has been edited by rsorenson (edited 09-28-2000).]

Forum Links
Forum Rules