Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Macintosh Sleeping Sickness

Macintosh Sleeping Sickness
Nov 20, 2001, 08:52 PM

Can anyone point me to some kind of software that can tell me what process/application causes my iMac to wake up? I was told that something called "Peek-a-Boo" would work, but I have had no luck with it so far.

I only ask because my iMac won't stay asleep. After the 30 minutes I have set in the Enery Saver control panel, the screen goes blank and the hard drive spins down. However, within a few minutes the drive will spin back up!?! I cannot figure out why. I'd really like to figure out why this is happening 'cause I'd like for the drive to stay "asleep" when I'm away from my computer for an extended period of time.

Here's the specs of my machine: rev. B iMac w/ a NewerTech 466 MHz G3, running 9.2.1, no data crunchers running (like SETI).

Thanks for your help,
~Thumannator

Senior User
Nov 25, 2001, 10:39 PM

are you connected to the internet? the internet gives my cube and my B&W G3 hard drives insomnia.

Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 30, 2001, 12:23 AM

My PD 533 running 10.1.1 has the same issue I put it to sleep and it decides it dosen't want to sleep, but other times it works just fine. It is odd since it is behind a firewall and the only thing that could wake it would be admin access and I am the only one who knows how to do that I doubt it is wakeing becasue of that.

P.S. is there any way to make it sleep like the older macs, IE so I have to hit a key to make it wake, not just bump the mouse.

Forum Links
Forum Rules