Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Win2000 vs. Mac osx

Win2000 vs. Mac osx
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 22, 2001, 01:41 AM

I'm sure this has been beaten to death, but truly with software an issue and stability which os really is better for a newbie? I've heard Win2k is very stable and has tons of software avail. But OSX is stable too however the software is slowly coming. Are there advantages to osx over 2000?

Professional Poster
Nov 22, 2001, 03:16 AM

Originally posted by handydan:
<STRONG>I'm sure this has been beaten to death, but truly with software an issue and stability which os really is better for a newbie? I've heard Win2k is very stable and has tons of software avail. But OSX is stable too however the software is slowly coming. Are there advantages to osx over 2000?</STRONG>
Probably usability. Windows 2000 doesn't really add much UI innovation over previous Windows OSes. With XP it's debatable -- some people think XP's task-centered approach is as good or better than OS X, though what I saw of it didn't impress me much.

I've heard a few horror stories about Win2K's hardware compatibility, but on the whole I imagine it's on a par with X's.

Oh yeah -- CNet picked OS X over Win2K in their "OS Deathmatch" series. That ought to settle it right there.
Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them.

-- Frederick Douglass, 1857

Forum Links
Forum Rules