Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > RAM fragmented?!

RAM fragmented?!
Forum Regular
Nov 26, 2001, 04:10 AM

I'm running a b/w G3 with OS 8.6 My problem: Despite having sufficient RAM incorporated applications often don't open, telling me that there is not sufficient memory available. "About this coputer" indicates that there must be enough (i.e. all open applications use a minor part of RAM), but the "major block without use" is to small to open another, RAM intensive, application. Is there a possibility to "reorganize" the RAM without closing and restarting all open applications?
Murphy's Second Corollary:
It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious.

Senior User
Nov 26, 2001, 03:14 PM

You don't say how much physical RAM you have. You need to allocate additional memory to the applications that are giving you problems. Highlight (single-click) the application (not an alias). Key command (apple)-i. In the "show" box, go to "memory." Change the "minimum" and "preferred" amount to 2x or 3x the "suggested" amount.
This should help, however, if you have massive RAM fragmentation, you'll need a good defragment application such as Speed Disk, http://www.symantec.com/nu/nu_mac/ or Plus Optimizer http://www.alsoft.com/DiskWarrior/index.html
Good luck.
Who are the Brain Police?

Clinically Insane
Nov 27, 2001, 02:23 AM

As well as what Fredo said about allocating memory, your RAM can get fragmented; quitting the Finder and reloading it can fix this, but not always. The best thing to do when your RAM gets very fragmented is reboot.

Forum Regular
Nov 27, 2001, 10:49 AM

Originally posted by Fredo:
<STRONG>You don't say how much physical RAM you have. You need to allocate additional memory to the applications that are giving you problems. Highlight (single-click) the application (not an alias). Key command (apple)-i. In the "show" box, go to "memory." Change the "minimum" and "preferred" amount to 2x or 3x the "suggested" amount.
This should help, however, if you have massive RAM fragmentation, you'll need a good defragment application such as Speed Disk, http://www.symantec.com/nu/nu_mac/ or Plus Optimizer http://www.alsoft.com/DiskWarrior/index.html
Good luck. </STRONG>
As I said, the problem is RAM fragmentation. Finder quitting seems to help, sometimes...But how do you quit it?
Some investigation led me to exactly what I was looking for:
TurboMem, if someone is interested.
Murphy's Second Corollary:
It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious.

<anonymous>
Nov 27, 2001, 11:59 AM

When in the Finder, press option-command-escape and a dialogue box asks if you want to force-quit it, click OK/yes. There is also various freeware/shareware that will do this for you.

Forum Regular
Nov 27, 2001, 12:49 PM

To quit the Finder, enter the following into the Script Editor and run it:

tell app "Finder"
quit
end tell

To restart the Finder, replace quit with run.

(102)

Forum Links
Forum Rules