Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Remote Access & CSM Freezing System

Remote Access & CSM Freezing System
SM
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 27, 2000, 12:19 AM

I typically use the Remote Access Control Strip Module to start my dial-up internet connections. After doing connecting & disconnecting this way a few times, I will click on it and before the CSM even pops up, my system will freeze solid. I think this started happening after installing the Mulitmedia Update 1.0 and/or the Software Update 1.1.3 (I installed both about the same time), but I can't be sure. I also think it has happend when using the Remote Access Status app to establish my internet connections, but since I use the CSM 99.9% of the time, so I am not positive.

I am using an iMac/266 w/Mac OS 9.0.4, 160 MB RAM, VM off, Remote Access 3.5, and all updates for the iMac & Mac OS that are applicable to my machine are installed. I use a few third party extensions, but they are mostly ones that are kept up-to-date, like USB Overdrive, Smart Scroll, BeHeirarchic, Epson drivers, Palm stuff, etc.

Anyone have similar problems or potential solutions? Any particular conflicts I should be looking at?

Professional Poster
Jun 27, 2000, 12:46 AM

have you tried deleting the Control Strip pref's file?

Clinically Insane
Jun 27, 2000, 05:08 AM

Damn, you don't want that CSM to cause you any probs. The other day I tried to connect with it and froze my system. I restarted and the system wouldn't boot up - the Finder icon appeared (at least it found the system) and then nothing would happen.
I booted from the CD and suddenly I had 2 gigs less HD than before - I wouldn't have noticed but I tried to back up the System Folder and it said there wasn't room - I only had 200 megs left! After searching with Sherlock for items over 100 megs and created that day (none), I checked out the System file - it was using 1.74 gigs. I couldn't open it because of a type -199 error (Map inconsistent with something or other off the top of my head - operation?).
Anyway fixed the problem within 5 mins, but just warning you...

Cipher13

SM  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 27, 2000, 12:37 PM

I have tried trashing the CSM prefs, rebuilding the desktop files, and zapping PRAM. This did not change anything.

Professional Poster
Jun 27, 2000, 12:57 PM

ok try deleting the Remote Access folder in the Pref's folder

Forum Links
Forum Rules