Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > G4 PCI and DVD

G4 PCI and DVD
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 28, 2000, 06:34 PM

This seems to be a problem that's been kicked around apple's support page forums a lot, but I still can't seem to fix it -- I upgraded to 9.0.4 on my G4/400 PCI and now I can't play DVDs. I get the message that the appropriate hardware isn't there. To pre-empt the non-solutions I've already tried, it doesn't help to reinstall Apple DVD player 1.3 or 1.2 clean -- neither of which should have problems the way 2.2 does because it's designed for the software DVD decoding of iMac DVs and AGP G4s. I've tried changing my monitor resolution all across the board to see if that helped - no luck. I get a similar error message from both v 1.2 and 1.3. I don't know if the problem is the player (3rd party software replacement might fix) or the driver. Any help would be great.

Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2000, 09:09 PM

For some reason, the sound input source will sometimes (rarely) not switch to "DVD" when it's supposed to. To fix this, all you need to do is use the SoundSource Strip control strip module to manually switch the input source to DVD.

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 2, 2000, 10:39 AM

I tried switching sound input to "DVD" in the control strip, but I still get the same error message - unable to find necessary hardware.

Addicted to MacNN
Jul 2, 2000, 05:54 PM

Do you have a DVD drive?

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 2, 2000, 11:26 PM

Originally posted by seanyepez:
Do you have a DVD drive?
<laugh> yes, I do -- I was able to play DVD's before I updated to system 9.0.4

Forum Links
Forum Rules