Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > HD Swap

HD Swap
Forum Regular
Nov 28, 2001, 12:48 PM

Is it possible to install a 20 GB HD with system 8.6 from a Performa 6400 into an early beige G3 without reinstalling system software?

Will the system automaticaly recognize its new "home" with its faster chip and increased memory, zip drive, etc.? Or do I need to reinstall 8.6?

Thanks

Banned
Location: "Joisey" Home of the "Guido" and chicks with "Big Hair"
Nov 29, 2001, 07:38 PM

I'm not certain what sort of drive the old performas used. I've worked on some old Quadra's that had hard drives that just didn't "look" like they'd connect to anything that was manufactured in the past 5 years or so.

As per the software issue you may have to do a clean install if your successful with swapping the drive. The system software is likely going to look for the G3 chip and install certain components/extensions that maximize and/or enable the G3's performance.

Sorry I'm not really versed on the topic here.

Mike

Clinically Insane
Nov 30, 2001, 06:25 AM

At the very worst, you'll have to boot from a CD and select the HD as the startup disk...

Forum Links
Forum Rules